Pike report

richyb

Hey everyone ... I headed to my grandparents to get my fishing fix since i havent ben able to get out lately. I ended up getting 7 pike with one being about 7 or 8 pounds and the rest about 3 -4lbs. I also hooked 3 bass with one being a nice size ... ( released ofcourse) My brother ended up getting a few pike also but he had a nice big muskie approx 15lbs take a run at it but it missed and i laughed ....... HAHAHA

Had a good little trip even though the coons have young ones under the guest house and they kept me up all night playing around and chattering...

a srappy little guy

mmmmm dinner

just a quik pic and bak it went

the best pike that i measured for the team

Nicely done richyb! I was out there this weekend as well, didn't notice you out on the water. I had a similar weekend, with a nice tiger musky lost at the boat :wallbash: I got her address, next time I'll go knock on her door again. Yesterday was a tough fish though. Only one sunfish and your average LMB in 5 hours.

Filleting a pike boneless

5 fillets from one fish.

-1)and 2) on each side from tail to just before the back bottom fin

-3)and 4) on each side gill to just before back bottom fin (carefully along the rib cage)

-5) along the back

reefrunner

Hey richyb,

Great report, nice bass...even better Pike. Thats what i have been fishing for recently too, although the bigger pike are still to show in the weedbeds...heck the weedbeds are still to show in the weedbeds...lol....was a long winter. I like eating pike too....and like you say it aint harder than filleting trout or whitefish.

Thanks for sharing....enjoy supper.

You.. you.. monster!! :P

Mmmm pikes.. This early in the season, they're quite tasty, as the fish are leaner and they havn't been in warm water for too long. Used to have fillet 30 a day at the Lodge.. I'd have whole families come in with stringers of snot rockets.. I've mastered the technique, but I'd rather make a video montage rather than confuse with my endless banter..

If I could suggest though. Be sure to gut and skin them as quickly as possible to avoid that fishyness. I've found that the flesh stays firmer, longer this way.

cheers!

HD

Hey thanks for the replys guys ... oh and highdrifter ... The 4 pike kept were " bonked" over the head about 1 minute before that pic .... We use an old metal cooler that we put water in to keep the fish alive until we are ready to clean them up ..