Bass Man magazine

Rattletrap2

I haven't filled out anything or entered anything but I got one as well. The only thing I can think of is I recently renewed my outdoors card/licence.

The bikini girl was nice to look at but as for the content, I thought it was mostly useless and so basic as to have little value. Fish live in water. Use hooks and/or lures to try and catch them. That's about the extent.

Maybe they were listening to the folks who've been complaining that many of the mags cater to the expert fishermen with much of the material close to fantasy for guys like me who are just learning. I'm hard-pressed to relate to catching Peacock Bass on $500 dollar baitcasters in Venezuela. It's great escapism but it really doesn't relate to catching 2 pounders on $29.95 spinning rigs in the Thames. It's a problem with a lot of mags of this type. It's fun to read about the fantasy fishing trips but I've gotta learn the basics. I had a few lightbulbs go off as I was reading the articles in Bassman. Admittedly some were a tad embarrassing - you know, when you slap yer forehead and say "Duh!". For sure bass fishing appears simple enough at the outset - worm, hook, line and water, the bass will come. But it seems the more I learn the less I know.

I liked the magazine for it's acknowledgement that there are dummies like me out there. It was written in my language. When the day comes that I can scoff at it's simplicity, then I'll buy me a hotrod bass boat and hit the tourney circuit. I'm looking forward to the next issue, with or without the girls, preferably with. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

I'm not scoffing at its simplicity but having read it a couple of times it seems to me to serve no purpose because it hasn't committed to serving and demographic.

It is far too rudimentary for seasoned bass anglers and offers nothing new. It also fails inexperienced bass anglers because it offers little of use to get started along the road of becoming a better bass fisherman. It is far to general to hit any target market well. If it is going to cover basics to get started then so be it. If it is going to be more advanced that's coll as well. In my opinion it isn't serving either faction of the community.

As for the other stuff - there is an article about fishing in mexico with an NHL player who makes more money than we likely ever will - reviews of some of the better 60,000 dollar bass boats which seems to me to be the exact "fantasy' stuff you don't like.

I'm not scoffing at its simplicity but having read it a couple of times it seems to me to serve no purpose because it hasn't committed to serving and demographic.

It is far too rudimentary for seasoned bass anglers and offers nothing new. It also fails inexperienced bass anglers because it offers little of use to get started along the road of becoming a better bass fisherman. It is far to general to hit any target market well. If it is going to cover basics to get started then so be it. If it is going to be more advanced that's coll as well. In my opinion it isn't serving either faction of the community.

As for the other stuff - there is an article about fishing in mexico with an NHL player who makes more money than we likely ever will - reviews of some of the better 60,000 dollar bass boats which seems to me to be the exact "fantasy' stuff you don't like.

I'll go through it again. Mebbe I'll see what you're saying. As for the hockey connection, I thought that was pretty à propos considering the obvious interest of some Canadian fishermen in the NHL as reflected here in the group this winter. I can better relate to a fantasy of a day's fishing with a celeb athlete than a fantasy of me actually understanding all the nuances of fish behaviour in locales unfamiliar to me. Hell, I struggle to understand the fish in an area I'm familiar with. <_<

I think it's probably pretty tough for a new publication to actually identify it's target audience. The study and interpretation of demographics can be pretty sophisticated. With a magazine they have to weigh the advertisers' wants against the subscribers' wishes. The real money comes from the advertisers, but without subscribers there'll be no advertisers, and no magazine.

Seems to me it would be great for us here in Ontario to have a publication dedicated to our own home grown bass instead of those tournament monsters in Alabama or those South American aberrations. I hope it works.

JF

I bought a subscription a long time ago for myself and my Dad and got the free Bass-Man hat. Nice hat too! :canadian:

I saw the girl and had to subscribe....she's a hotty! I hoped there would be more pictures like that but then I guess it would be too much like Maximum magazine.

It's a brand new magazine and being the first edition, most of the information was the same that you can view on their web-site.

To those that had paid a subscription, they sent out a survey to find out what we'd like to see. Of course, I said more of the girl. :rolleyes::thumbsup_anim::rolleyes:

I was impressed that they contacted me a few times for comments.

They're market, I believe, will be more for Ontario fishing.

Cheers

Well, I had a few moments to peruse it last night and found it to be very nicely laid out, nice wildlife shots :whistling: and I thank the folks that sent it to me as I now have more material in my reading room.

Thanks again!

HH

I thought I won the contest when I saw it in my mailbox lastnight.

I guess everyone's a winner, YAY.

I thought the same thing..

"I thought I didn't win?"

Girls + bikinis + fish = win.

No complaints from me.