The in-laws have a cottage in the Kawarthas...

johnnyb

Hey all...I just spent the weekend at the in-laws (to be, in a month and a half) place on Gull Lake, near Minden. Scoping things out, it would seem that we're a hop skip and a jump from a few Muskie lakes in the immediate area. The most notable one I can see is Balsam...just wondering if anyone has input on some of the smaller ones on the area. Of course I'm not looking for specific spots, but, I'm curious if there are public launches on Cranberry or Head Lakes, and if anyone's got an opinion as to whether I would be wasting my time on them compared to the nearby Balsam.

Not that I won't get out there anyway...just lookin' for a place to start. PM's are just as welcome as replies, so as not to give any well-kept secrets away.

:) Thanks!

Edited by johnnyb

well johnyB,

You are aware that Balsam is a great musky fsherie...so why not?

Ive heard some pretty good reviews from Head Lake tho although I never ever fished it myself.

On todays 'Lindner' show it tells everyone that they should try a never before,

'Fished by You'...lake or waterbody that you should make it a priority once a year...Why Not?

..just observe and look for what structure you should be on any other lake.

bNb

Kawarthas...Stony is a great bet for musky.

they are everywhere, and if you are bass fishing and undergunned for musky they can even be annoying.

Of course with the PP braid.... I just have a blast!

If your looking to catch a first musky there is no better place than Head Lake in Haliburton. Its the lake I take everyone to to catch their first. There is a launch thats in good shape. I suggest bucktails and jerkbaits in black and yellow colours heres an assortment of Head Lake fish

100_1083.jpg

untisssstled.jpg

untitlaaaed.jpg

untitldfrred.jpg

untitledvcxv.jpg

Griffin2.jpg

If you have any questions about specifics just PM me

Edited by Musky or Specks

Head Lake is pretty good, lots of different types of structure but the fish are a little small but in good numbers. Launch is lousy which means usually not much boating traffic. Also its not part of the trent severn route so again far less boat traffic. Balsam you'll find bigger water (rough conditions) bigger boats (more traffic) but also bigger fish. I actually fish both throughout the season depending on my mood.