Evinrude question

cranks bait

Lets see I have had a 93 30 hp tiller for about 12 years,great motor love it never a problem but lots of smoke. I also have a 75 6 hp same thing runs great lots of smoke. 3 years ago I bought a 2001 40 hp 4 - stroke. Love it super quiet and no smoke at all. And yes better gas mileage.

Edited by bowslayer

My 72 Evinrude 50 is smokier if I use the Shell Nautilus.But if I use the Esso semisynthetic it seems much cleaner.I noticed the same with my snowmobile and tend to stick with the Esso oil.One benefit is it also doesn't smell as bad either.As far as mileage,well a five gallon tank'll get me maybe 25-30 miles.One day I want an E TEC but it's a want and not a need.

I replaced my 1996 Evinrude 50 HP with a new 50 HP etec specifically for those purposes, cleaner burning and more fuel efficient. If you have the money, do it because with gas at $1.30 and rising, it'll be a no brainer.

VRO is Variable ratio oiler or also known as damn Junk death to a otherwise great outboard

WHY do you say this. Do YOU have personal experience or are you just one of many who spread rumors from a friend who has a cousin that knows a guy that has a brother in-law that's a marine mechanic in his back yard and this guy said to take off the VRO system because it "COULD" fail and blow your motor.

I have had this boat, motor and trailer for 23 years without a problem and the VRO is the reason I purchased this motor. It is the best thing since slice bread. I have a remote 1.8 gallon oil tank that I fill once a year and never think about it again. Motor purrs like a kitten. Trolls down to 1.5 mph and has a top speed of 32 mph. I get 30 miles to a 6 gallon tank while trolling and 42 miles to 6 gallon tank while cruising.

Bob

I replaced my 1996 Evinrude 50 HP with a new 50 HP etec specifically for those purposes, cleaner burning and more fuel efficient. If you have the money, do it because with gas at $1.30 and rising, it'll be a no brainer.

This is exactly what I am doing it for. I have been looking at boats, and cannot find one that I absolutely love. I wish I had the power to design my own. I have found a local place that is going to give me a great deal on an e-tec. Although I am not going accross the board, I'm getting a 75. Up from a 50. I'm guessing the gas consumption would be similar to what it is now if I gun it all the time, but might still be better. For me the quieter more power and fuel consumption is where it is at. I figure start with the motor then I can transfer it to the boat I really want. 75 is the magic number for me.

Thanks for all the input and help.

Gotta go make a phone call :thumbsup_anim: