i picked up a 14 foot boat from a buddy

MuddyWater

im buying a boat off my buddys neighbor and i was just wondering about trailer plates and numbers on boats and stuff about ownership? or can i just slap her in the water? anything would be cool because ive never owned a boat before!

To add to busharts comments on safety gear: An anchor, floating rope and lifejackets to accomodate occupants.

I would also say having two short (5foot) ropes with clips on hand for easy tie up to the dock. Clips on each end of the ropes are a good idea so you can easily change what side of the dock you want to park it at, depending on the winds, depth and so forth.

Otherwise I would add...

GPS/sonar

stereo with waterproof speakers

rod holders

downriggers

swivel seats

bikini models :whistling:

i guess bushart and reefrunner already covered all the stuff you need in the boat.

As for trailer plate go, you'll need to go to an ontario drivers licensing centre and register for one. You'll need a Bill of sale (ask the seller to write one up), proof of ownership and you'll have to pay tax for the price of the trailer (you can ask the seller to just write $50-100 on the bill of sale). Do up a search on OFC, there's some info on here... i'm going through the same process as well, have to get mine licensed this week.

Is your boat motor bigger than a 10hp? If so, it will need to be licensed. Go to Transport Canada to do that.

im buying a boat off my buddys neighbor and i was just wondering about trailer plates and numbers on boats and stuff about ownership? or can i just slap her in the water? anything would be cool because ive never owned a boat before!

1. What is the HP of the motor, under 10hp no registration required. Over 10hp, must be regisetered through Service Canada http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/sc/boats...surecraft.shtml

2. If the boat already has registration numbers, then the owner must give you the original form signed by him. You then take this to the Service Canada office in your community and change the registration. Service Canada does not collect the GST

3. Check this link to know what safety equipment is mandatory

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/tp/tp511/menu.htm

enjoy your new toy

Just JOHN

Question:

I am in the midst of selling a boat as well.

On the back of the original Licensing (Registration) Form ( from the dealership ).....it mentions the Vendor must notify the customs house of the change in ownership. Does this still hold true or have things changed since I bought the bought 8 years ago?

Meely

Edited by Meely