Rice Lake

taper

I have a good friend at work that is heading to Rice lake next week. He asked if I knew any thing about it and I said no but knew where I could get some good help. He is mainly a musky fisherman but I am guessing he will be happy catching any thing on his first trip out this year. Any advice I can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Taper, There was a bit a discussion about it last week on this thread Rice Fishging Lately that might help. Didn't help me a whole lot unfortunately as the cold and winds made things a bit of a mess but we ended up with a nice accidental musky trolling the edge of some weed beds if that helps (if he wants to try trolling small walleye targeting spinners for musky :) )

Hi Taper, There was a bit a discussion about it last week on this thread Rice Fishging Lately that might help. Didn't help me a whole lot unfortunately as the cold and winds made things a bit of a mess but we ended up with a nice accidental musky trolling the edge of some weed beds if that helps (if he wants to try trolling small walleye targeting spinners for musky :) )

always blaming it on the weather eh sean? :)

hi Taper, when I target musky on Rice Lake, I usually go up the Otonabee River to the Wallace Point bridge and work the banks back to the lake with a spinnerbait or suick and have had some success.I fnd the spinnerbait doesn't get snagged as much as a bait with trebles on the fallen trees along the shoreline. I also find if they have the dam open, there is too much current and I don't do as well. This is the pattern I use in the fall but I think it might work in the spring also as the fish start feeding again. hope this helps.

All good info and the waters are low in the river right now. Another spot to give a go is the deep channel that runs out from Bewdley on the south side towards Hastings. You can either troll it or cast both edges of it. They can be found all over the lake but are getting tougher to catch each year.

Another spot to give a go is the deep channel that runs out from Bewdley on the south side towards Hastings.

Did you mean towards Harwood?

Hastings and Bewdley are on the complete opposite sides of the lake.

Did you mean towards Harwood?

Hastings and Bewdley are on the complete opposite sides of the lake.

Opposite ends of the lake and both in a NE direction from Bewdley same direction the channel runs. Easy enough to find.

Edited by Smokey

Opposite ends of the lake and both in a NE direction from Bewdley same direction the channel runs. Easy enough to find.

Ya, I know where the channel is because I grew up fishing Rice, but people who aren't familiar with the lake might see that Hastings and Bewdley are on opposite ends of the lake and be confused.