Ottawa River Fishing Report

Rybren

After 4 years of living in a far-away land with no fishing, I managed to tie up with a couple of my buddies for a rather wet weekend of fun on the Ottawa River near Pembroke.

We fished the river pretty hard on Friday afternoon & evening and for most of Saturday (in between thunderstorms) and did okay, all things considered. We had gone hunting for eyes and managed to pick up 15 - 20, all under the 40cm size limit. Unfortunately, we never did manage to find any worth bragging about. There were a lot of hammer handle pike to be had as well. In addition, we hooked into a couple of 10+ and 14+ pounders. There were also a few smaller (2-5lb) channel cats, a few OOS smallies, some pan fish, and a bunch of some kind of silvery fish that none of us could identify. My first thought was that they might be whitefish, but I haven't seen one in 30+ years and they didn't match my mental picture of what I remember them looking like. I think that our guy with the camera took a picture of one and once he sends it to me, I'll post it to see if anyone can ID the beast.

Boy, I have to tell you that it sure felt good to be back on the water with a rod in hand, drag screaming and the lads yelling "look at the size of that thing!"

Cheers

Well that fish was probly a mooneye,they are very scrappy,and fight hard for being a small shad like fish,their scales come off by the millions and they smell real bad,. they are spawning at this time of year ,and they will be around for a few weeks and then dissapear. some of the locals say they are good to eat,but i have never tried one....cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

I have to agree, the Ottawa is a very interesting river to fish.

After doing some research on the net and looking at the photo, I think that you guys are right - they were mooneyes.

Here's a shot of one....

mooneye.JPG

This pike came in at a tad over 14 lbs...

pike_14lb.JPG

and this one at 10 1/2 ilbs...

jean_pike.jpg

As I mentioned in my original post. It was a blast to get back on the water and start fishing again. My poor wife, I'm afraid that she'll soon be a fishing widow once again.

Cheers