To snub or not to Snub....

Guest robw

Guest robw

I'm new to trolling..recently I went into my LFS to look for some swivels for my Dipsy's. I mentioned my setups to the owner and he told me I needed Snubbers. So, only $4 each, I bought a couple. After talking to a fellow fisherman that trolls alot, I'm undecided about using them. I was wondering if anyone has some advice about them. IE. use them, don't use them, colors, ect. any help would be great. thanks in advance.

On my rods I run dipseys with mono and have not used or had a break of with mono to date (probably just jinxed myself)

I agree with others. If you run braid or wire add snubber.

I switched over to slide divers a few years ago. I beleive my cathc rate has increase by having the ability to run various leads back form the diver. In the spring I was running +50ft behind the diver. Shorten the lead as summer appraoches.

I like the longer leads when running a clean spoon.

I use snubbers with braid but not mono when running dipsey's, like fishnsled said.

But with the new Tordpedo Divers, I just run a mono leader because you don't fight the diver nearly as much.

Snubbers.... Types of snubbers, line diver size, conditions, species... Wow this could be a big answer... I generally use snubbers all the time, I use the braided clear snubber opposed to the surgical tubing type, they are slightly more rigid. Shock absorber would be a good way to describe what they do I also find they help stall your spoon and give it just a little more action on turns or when running a zig zag. I will go as far to say that we caught a larger percentage of fish last year and this spring on divers with snubbers than any other means. Diver size plays into it as well, I use the Walker Divers and the range in size from very small 65mm to ridicules. On the smaller divers the snubber is not necessary especially if river fishing for walleye, however If I am using a 65mm on 0 straight off the back of the boat 205' back trolling for Rainbow I would use the snubber. I do not think we have lost a fish because of a snubber but at the same time I feel it especially important to keep your line tight and tip way up when landing a fish while using one. You also need to consider a leader length including the snubber and rod length that will allow you to safely and swiftly land your fish on your boat. IE too much leader and you may not be able to get the net to your boat. Rob I think you are from my neck of the woods if you want to come out with us to Lake Erie send me a message we will likely be starting regular trips in the very near future as it looks like the weather is going to finally warm up. :whistling:

Edited by Nitro Man

Rob,

I agree with Nitro man and the clear snubbers. I think in Lake Ont. with king salmon they are more common but I am not convinced they are necessary for Walleyes or Bows in Erie.I fish mostly LPB on Erie and I use spiderwire stealth 30lb braid on my dipsey rods and 20lb seaguar floro leaders and have never had a break off. I think the drag setting on your reel is probably more important.I set mine by letting out the dipsey to the depth I want turn on the clicker and tighten the drag until it just stops clicking. I think this helps lessen the shock as well. You said you have a couple try one rod with one and one without and see what happens ;)

Hope this helps

Good luck

Al

SpoonMaster lures