Need Help can't find LEAK!!

Scott S

I have filled my boat up with water. Nothing came out, no wet spot's nothing. So I take it out on the water, and after about 15 minutes I flip on the bilge and water starts shooting out! Where the bleep is the water coming from. My boat is a 14.5ft sylvan sport troller with a 25 yamaha, both are 2003. Please someone help me find an answer!

Scooter :wallbash:

I filled the boat right up to my floor. I have put a brand new plug in also

Scooter

Wouldn't the waterline be above your floor? You may need to fill it up higher than the floor level.

Or maybe where you stand/sit in the boat creates a void in a certain area and lets water in?? I assume that you weren't in the boat when you filled it.

Is there anyway to see the hull of the boat from the inside?

Put the boat in the water with as little weight inside as possible, still leak? then you know its below waterline...concentrate efforts there.

no leak yet? your in luck..add weight till it leaks....you have narrowed down the search area.

you can try distributing the weight front or back....or listing hte boat to one side.

this may be time consuming but if you are not making progress in other ways.....

forrest

Guest robw

I would still check the plug. In the water with all the pressure on the outside pushing in, it may leak, but when you fill it from the inside, it creates enough pressure to hold the seal. Alot like the old bathtub drain seals that were held in by the water pressure. That example could also work for another leak where this any overlapped material.

Welcome to the club...This is the first year I didn't fill the "Tin" to check for leaks...never leaked when I filled her but sure as hell she would after launching...After five years I gave up trying to fix her and just continue to bail her out every hour or so...I built a bit of a portable bilge pump with a 12 volt motorcycle battery and a long stick...After a heavy rain I sit on the dock and hold the bilge pump in place until she is empty...I find it easier to bail/pump her out than try to wrestle the cover on and off... :D

had the same problem till last week when I put the boat on stands so I could pull the trailer out to replace the bunks .. the center support was bowing the center of the boat .. realeased the preasure and found the keel was cracked .. when it was on the trailer you couldnt see it but whe the preasure was realeased it was clear as day .. my advise would be to lower the trailer tongue as low as possable .. place jack stands under the transom and raise the tongue so the boat is off the trailer (dont forget to remove the rear transom straps)... support the front of the boat and lower the trailer so the boat is only supported by the jack stands ..and inspect where the boat sits on the supports .. ya never know it just might work for ya

Scooter, I had the same problem with my 1992 Princecraft, and discovered that the hose going to the livewell must have cracked in the winter. The solution was to put a cork in the intake hole at the back of the boat. So block off all the holes at the back of the boat and see if that helps. There was no problem with the hull at all.

Welcome to the club...This is the first year I didn't fill the "Tin" to check for leaks...never leaked when I filled her but sure as hell she would after launching...After five years I gave up trying to fix her and just continue to bail her out every hour or so...I built a bit of a portable bilge pump with a 12 volt motorcycle battery and a long stick...After a heavy rain I sit on the dock and hold the bilge pump in place until she is empty...I find it easier to bail/pump her out than try to wrestle the cover on and off... :D

Thats what I would do too Norm. Too much time lost to fishing.LOL