Cripping FLourocarbon Muskie Leaders?

RangerGuy

So I'm going to try some fluorocarbon leaders for musky this year. I've got myself some Seagar 130lbs test leader material and the appropriate hardware.

I've made wire ones and never had the crimp slip but I really put a lot of presure on when crimping. Do I need to do the same for fluoro or is it just a firm crimp?

A firm crimp is better than a really squashed one. Remember to leave half an inch of the tag end at the swivel end of the leader. Bend that tag end for it to become perpendicular to the leader and you really lessen the weed problem on your baits.

As Roy says RG, no need to over tighten or you could cut into the fluoro. I like to crimp in the middle and leave the ends sorta bugled out and that will help prevent the ends from cutting the fluoro too.

I also like to melt the end of the line and form a little ball to help prevent the line from slipping thru the crimp if anything happens and you don't get it tight enough.

Here's a pic to give you an idea, and that's not rust on the metal, just the way the light is hitting it.

Cnv0078.jpg

Edited by lew

I give each of my homemade jobs the 'nail pull' test. after a while you get a feel for how much pressure on the crimps is 'just right'. like the name suggests, the test consists of looping one end of the leader over a nail in the wall, the other end you grab with a pair of pliers and pull 'till you're satisfied. if a fish is stronger than that, i want no business meeting it (and the drag will slip long before)

Edited by Raf

I picked up some 24" 130lb Flouro leaders and JB's.. They are tied, not crimped.. Something I should be worried about?

I should probably just start making my own :)

Bill, I actually prefer knotting them. I just can't get them right past 100lb test though. 100lb and under it works great and there's no chance of ever scarring the fluoro with a crimp.

Forget crimping- use a leader loop with a drop of crazy glue. I have no problems with tying 130 lb. for Musky, do as Lew says and melt the end of the tag end to ensure a no slip knot. Knots will still appear to be a little loose but I keep them under some tension until the glue sets (30 sec). I went all last season with the same two leaders on my 'ski rigs- checking for nicks or rough spots- caught probably over 30 fish between them. No 50's last season but plenty of mid to high 40's with no problems- I have caught up to 51" with my floro leaders- I will never go back to wire leaders again! I use 80 lb. Seaguar for Pike and Walleye as well.

From what I've read, tying the leaders or crimping does not matter as long as you are using high quality terminal tackle (swivels, etc...).

For tying high lb test fluoro, use a canoe knot, you can google it to learn how to do it.

Good luck.

made some about 3years ago.I,m still using a 48-incher for trolling.I was concerned about how they would stand up on biggies,but have been lucky enough to put 2 in the boat that exceeded the leader length.My early mistakes included,making the bend too tight which lead to breakage at the swivel,not using big enough crimps (using a larger one allows you to pass back though the crimp a second time,then use shrink-tube on the tag to avoid collecting extra weed),and finally even starting to fish for muskies in the first place.

Hey guys, great replies.. I made 3 last night.. before I read the post LOL! Probably crimped them harder than I needed to. If I break off I'll cut the other 2 :) and re-do them.

Thanks for the pic Lew :)

I wish I would have thought about the leaving the tag at the swivel, oh well next batch.