trailer wiring

workwear

hiya everyone.......was wondering if someone can shed some light on this

my trailer has a 5 prong attachment......my buddy wants to tow it on friday...but he has only a hard wired 4 prong

went to canadian tire this aft and they looked at us like weve been smokin something illegal.....has anyone ever heard of a converter for a 4 prong from his truck to a 5 prong to my trailer......im assuming the extra prong is for the surge brakes

any help would be greatly appreciated ......

Nope, can't say I've ever seen a 4 to 5 adapter in either direction. If your trailer had surge brakes, then I'm pretty sure it does not need electricity, it's activated by deceleration, if it is electric brakes, then your vehicle will have an electric brake controller. Your vehicle plug, White=ground, Brown=running/park lights, Green=right, Yellow=left, what is the other wire? What are the wire colours on your trailer?

well the newer trailers with surge brakes use the white wire to kill the brakes while backing up and if they are disc brakes you need that

but there is no reason why you can't buy a 5 wire vehicle plug and the 4 wire trailer plug and just wire them together and you have an adapter

you could run the wire wire to the back up lights, if the white wire is for the brakes and it will work

I don't think you meant electric brake so it will work

well the newer trailers with surge brakes use the white wire to kill the brakes while backing up and if they are disc brakes you need that

but there is no reason why you can't buy a 5 wire vehicle plug and the 4 wire trailer plug and just wire them together and you have an adapter

you could run the wire wire to the back up lights, if the white wire is for the brakes and it will work

I don't think you meant electric brake so it will work

Terry...are you sure about the white wire? White is always or just about always ground(12V-)