Can a 14' tincan be cartopped on my Nissan pathfinder?

Victor

Hi guys and girls, I need a little help ... as stated in the topic. I have wanted a boat for a long long time and have been doing a bit of research and came across this boat that doesn't have a trailer. In the long run I will probably buy a trailer but in the mean time I don't have room to store it. It seems to be a good deal so i don't want to miss out on it. Would it be possible for me to cartop a boat this size? I know many 12' tin cans are cartoppers but I have never seen them done, even on google when i search for images, there isn't a single one of them. O yeah the boat has a closed bow if that matters, but it's only a small section of it.

Thanks in advance.

Victor

Edited by Victor

Question is can you load it on top and unload it without killing your car...

I wouldnt be as worried about killing the car, as I would be with killing myself!

Dont want to drop that on your foot! :lol:

We've thrown my 14' on top of an S-10, minivan, Pontiac Sunfire.. sure your Pathfinder would have no problems.

Strap some pool noodles to the sides of it though or you'll have one heck of an ugly paintjob up there.

for many years that is what we would do put the 14' on top of the pick topper it is easly done you will need to mount a 4X4 at the back of the SUV so that you can rest to front of the boat on it then like UB said place another up front then its all armstrong power from there as long as you can lift it you can haul it sorry no pics from back then but it does make it way easy to get into the bush. One thing remember to not drive on the 400 series to fast and tie it down good

I would make sure that you have a friend or two to help you with this.

I've car topped a 12 fter on minivans many times with troubles now and then.

Haven't had a mishap but had ropes or straps snap. Luckily pulled over and had replacements.

A 14 fter could be more cumbersome. Ratchet it down with heaviest, longest strap from crappy tire.

Strap some pool noodles to the sides of it though or you'll have one heck of an ugly paintjob up there.

The biggest, widest pool noodles sliced to fit along edge of boat is best.

Get a trailer asap, a 14 fter. is too big for cartopping.

Good luck,

ehg

Thanks again everyone.

Alright, i shall go get myself a couple of 4x4, pool noodles, and most important, a few rolls of Duct Tape

lol seriously though, i'll try to wait for a trailer first ...