Got new boat.Need some help

idesign

Good news.I wanted to buy boat for long time.Finally i got the boat.Got a very good deal.i know this boat is not fully designed for fishing but this is my first boat of life.It should do the job.Later when i get used to it i will buy bass boat for sure

It is 14ftp fiberglass boat with 28 HP motor.+Trailer

Good condition.Good Motor(tuned up last summer).Pic is attached below.Now i have few question

1.Will i be able to use down rigger on this boat.

2.Will i be able to use trolling motor on this boat.

If yes,please let me know what kind of fish finder,trolling motor & down rigger should i get.

If u have some stuff i want for sale,pm me.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Congrat's on the new boat!

Well, this is certainly "Announcement" worthy, you'll probably get more replies in the general discussion area.

Some of the issues I foresee...

How are you going to control a bow-mount trolling motor? One option would be a wireless setup with a hand remote. That'll run you $800-$1000

Mounting riggers doesn't look easy but you might be able to mount a rigger bar (2x6 plank) that spans from gunwale to gunwale just ahead of the motor and mount your riggers to that. Do you see yourself using riggers a lot? There are other less intrusive ways to get to a desired depth that you may wish to explore... leadcore line, dipsy divers, jet divers, torpedo divers. All you need for those rigs is a good set of rod holders.

-Brian

First off congrats on yer first.

Second,down riggs should not be a prob. I had an old Voyager,and did what I am about to tell you,and it worked just fine.

You will have to do some work to make them stable and solid.

If you can get under the rear sides then you got the start of getting them on.

A solid piece of 2x6 pressure treat bolted just in front of the motor will do you just fine. You will also want to use a piece of wood under the glass where you are going to snug the 2x6 down.Then you can mount the hardware,weather it be a stationary / swivel base. I would go with the swivels if you can afford them. They will run you about a hundred bucks. Give or take.

Enjoy your new ride.

Feel free to pm if you need some help on the installation of the 2x6.

Good call there Brian.

Edited by misfish

Congrats on your first boat. I think you should also look into the divers instead. But if you are finding that you use them a lot go with the plank idea. A 55lb transom mount would work great on that. For fishfinder try the Eagle Cuda only a hundred bucks and works great.

Congrat's on the new boat!

Well, this is certainly "Announcement" worthy, you'll probably get more replies in the general discussion area.

Some of the issues I foresee...

How are you going to control a bow-mount trolling motor? One option would be a wireless setup with a hand remote. That'll run you $800-$1000

Mounting riggers doesn't look easy but you might be able to mount a rigger bar (2x6 plank) that spans from gunwale to gunwale just ahead of the motor and mount your riggers to that. Do you see yourself using riggers a lot? There are other less intrusive ways to get to a desired depth that you may wish to explore... leadcore line, dipsy divers, jet divers, torpedo divers. All you need for those rigs is a good set of rod holders.

-Brian

thx for reply.i though going into depth the down rigger is only option.I have never used1 before.I want to catch whitefish from lake Simcoe & salmon&trout from lake Ontario.

can you tell me which rig would be better for me.if possible can u send me link to that product so i know how it looks.

also do i need to buy special kind of rod or my medium action rod would be good enough.

Congrats on your first boat. I think you should also look into the divers instead. But if you are finding that you use them a lot go with the plank idea. A 55lb transom mount would work great on that. For fishfinder try the Eagle Cuda only a hundred bucks and works great.

thx for reply.i never used any divers before.is it dipsy diver u talking about.Also can u tell me where they sell the Eagle Cuda for $100.thx

do i need to use trolling motor or is there any other option.

I see you mentioned Lake Ontario and that is probably one lake where downriggers are need the most. I say the most because there are times you can get away with not using downriggers there also. Now Lake Erie is a lake right now that I would recommend Dipsy Divers over downriggers. With all that being say I would first recommend just having some fishing fun this year and then next year sit down and think what direction you want to go in with expensive equipment.

If and when you decide to take the equipment plunge then I would say do it right and spend what you can afford. I didn't equip my boat with said equipment until I had my third (first new) boat and new exactly what I really wanted and needed. THOUSANDS of dollars later I have everything I will ever need on "My Mistress" :)

But if you can't wait to spend a few dollars on equipment get yourself 2 Dipsy Diver rod and reel (reel counter reels) combo's and two Large Dipsy Divers and you will immediately start catching fish you never had before. Even when and if you decide to get downriggers you will still use the Dipsy Divers along with the downriggers.

Good Luck with the Bait Monkey,

Bob

THOUSANDS of dollars later I have everything I will ever need on "My Mistress"

So thats how it,s done. :lol:

I want to say something about your down rigg,n on Lake O. This is you first boat right? You want to fish salmon or what ever on lake O right? You better now what yer doing . It aint that simple. Just a word of friendly advice. Dont take it personal,I told my bro the same thing.

I see you mentioned Lake Ontario and that is probably one lake where downriggers are need the most. I say the most because there are times you can get away with not using downriggers there also. Now Lake Erie is a lake right now that I would recommend Dipsy Divers over downriggers. With all that being say I would first recommend just having some fishing fun this year and then next year sit down and think what direction you want to go in with expensive equipment.

If and when you decide to take the equipment plunge then I would say do it right and spend what you can afford. I didn't equip my boat with said equipment until I had my third (first new) boat and new exactly what I really wanted and needed. THOUSANDS of dollars later I have everything I will ever need on "My Mistress" :)

But if you can't wait to spend a few dollars on equipment get yourself 2 Dipsy Diver rod and reel (reel counter reels) combo's and two Large Dipsy Divers and you will immediately start catching fish you never had before. Even when and if you decide to get downriggers you will still use the Dipsy Divers along with the downriggers.

Good Luck with the Bait Monkey,

Bob

Thank you very much for your great advise.do u know any place where i can get those equipment for good price.let me know.thank you

Do be careful choosing days to go out on Lake O & Simcoe, and watch the weather closely....it can turn nasty quick. I go out in a 16.5, there's days I have gotten to the launch and had to go home.

Good luck with your new boat-enjoy!