OFN carping G2G - May 24

MJL

A while back Victor planned a carping g2g for anyone who was interested in carp fishing. Today a few of us OFC members met at Port Credit.

Anton and Victor arrived at the swim at 6-6:30am. I arrived with my dad (Lazybum) at 6:40 and Andrew arrived shortly after. CLofchik swung by an hour or so later. The day started out really slow. The 25km east winds were brutal in the morning. No one had gotten any hits or line bumps. The only action that did occur happened when the wind blew Anton’s rod right into the water – we did manage to net it.

Group shot

DSC_5463.jpg

My dad managed to snap a picture of some cool ducks that were near by.

DSC_5458.jpg

A few hours later (probably around 10am) we decided to pack up and head upstream to a spot a few of us had caught fish in the past. Sharper met up with us there – I have no idea how he knew where we were. For a while nothing was happening. I grabbed a hotdog from the street vendor during the slow period. After finishing it my buzzer goes off

First fish of the day at 18lbs 12oz

DSC_5480.jpg

Group pic (Top Left to Right: Anton, CLofchik, Andrew & Sharper. Bottom Left to right:Victor and MJL. Absent: Lazybum)

DSC_5482.jpg

My dad got one shortly after around 7lbs…We didn’t get a pic…He hates touching carp

Andrew hooks into one which took him around a bridge piling

DSC_5484.jpg

He managed to winch it free. 21lbs+

DSC_5489.jpg

At around 2pm, we were thinking of packing up. Sharper’s rod doubles over and he’s fighting a decent sized carp

DSC_5491.jpg

DSC_5494.jpg

My dad, Victor, Sharper and I ended the day at around 2:30. CLofchik and Andrew stuck around for some more action. It was great to meet everyone today and despite the slow action and brutal winds, my dad and I had fun. I'm sure all the others who attended also did as well.

We have to do it again sometime!

Edited by MJL

Hey guys! What a great report. It's great that you guys got together like that...it's what this community is all about! If it were up to me, I would have been there, but I'm typing this from the in-laws place in Michigan....LOL

Pretty accurate description of the day except you missed out the role the hot dogs played lol.

Yes, the hotdogs. That's the secret ingredient for achieving success today. It's been tough going today until MJL bought the first hotdog and then landed the day's first fish. Anton bought the second hotdog but left soon afterwards before the effect took hold. I got my hotdog and soon got my fish. Then Andrew figured he will give it a try and landed his fish. Victor was sceptical that hotdog is the magic bait and refused to try but by now Sharper was convinced to give it a try. And wouldn't you believe it - he got his carp landed.

By now the hotdog vendor was flogging his dogs to anyone who would listen that everyone who bought his dogs caught fish. CLofchik gave in and got his hotdog but we had to leave so we don't know how he did. Poor Victor not only didn't get his carp but also left hungry. In retrospect I should have gotten him one for arranging this G2G. Next time Victor.

Stayed until 5:00, didn't catch squat. Andrew landed a 2nd one soon after you guys left, hit before he even had the rod in his holder.

I have yet to hook a carp on a hair rig, 2nd hotdog didn't help either so the spell was broken. Lol.

I have yet to hook a carp on a hair rig, 2nd hotdog didn't help either so the spell was broken. Lol.

For the magical hot dogs, "results may vary from person to person. Results can usually be seen in 1 to 72hrs. Side effects include obesity, fatigue and/or diarrhea"

You weren't using one of my hair rigs. For 3 easy payments of $39.95 you get 12 hair rigs with uber sharp hooks guarantied to catch fish tied in a proprietary style designed by the one and only MJL :thumbsup_anim:

When I read the weather prediction for yesterday 25 klick winds outta the east at Port Credit (right in your face) plus a barometer of over 103, I opted for the 10 klick 'breeze' outta the northwest at Port Hope. I've fished the mouth of the Credit with a strong east wind, have never caught one there yet under those conditions, but it appears you guys had a great time despite the near typhoon conditions! Unfortunately the water in the Ganny was crystal clear & only 50 degrees . . . we saw several carp swimming past, but it was 1:30 before I got a 15 pounder to hit. Damn thing was so lethargic, I coulda landed him with a Dora The Explorer set-up . . . poor thing was likely half froze! I stopped at a friend's place in Newcastle, he's got a few in Graham's Creek by the boat ramp in the past week . . . but they too are still kinda dopey & lethargic . . . only the shallow marshes, bays and rivers well back from the cold lake water are getting warm enough to get 'em at full throttle.

Nice outting. Looks great with all that greenery. Looks warm too but I guess it wasn't. I came down with a sore throat (allergies?) on friday and body aches. I was going to go to the doc for some meds but didn't. I decided to go Saturday. And I'm kinda glad I did.

May24.jpg

I was too early so I decided to set my banksticks in the local area. Only had 2hrs and wasn't exspecting an hits. But I got more bumps and hits than b4 things are slowly turning around.

Although going out of the city would be a change of scenery. I can't bother getting up so early in this still chilly weather. And not knowing what to exspect.

I also believe hotdogs are a carps favorite bait. Its greasey enough to pick up the scent. No one can turn down a hotdog not even a fish.

Thanks for the report!!

DSN

It's a fishless weekend for me ... this week is going to be long ... :(

we'll do that again sometime soon guys, it was fun ... despite the no fish for me haha

Edited by Victor

Nice job guys....what was the bait of the day ?? other than the street meat, LOL !!

I had a great time down there also. I almost tripled the weight of my previous PB carp (and only) with the first 20LBer then later I managed another one that we guessed somewhere between 10 and 15LBS (i'd say closer to 15). This was weird though, that fish hit almost as soon as the bait hit the water, as was mentioned above, I didn't even get to put my rod into the holder before it started pulling!

As for bait I'm pretty sure that it was all caught on MGL's stinky ass maize!

Thanks again MGL for the hair rigs. You make tying them look easy, but I still don't think I can get it! I think we all had a great time, and look forward to doing it again!

Andrew.