Finally Finished the Boat

Doctrt

Sorry to say, but the gas can you've got will be venting inside the new below-decks area. I'd install a fixed tank with a proper vent line to the outside of the enclosure, so gas fumes don't build up in there especially on hot days. Many folks have been blown to smithereenies by not doing so. What you've got there is a ticking time bomb waiting for a spark.

Looks awesome Tim! Been thinking of making a few mods to our boat, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and some of the tech info. Assuming you are heading out for the opener this weekend..hook lots!

Sorry to say, but the gas can you've got will be venting inside the new below-decks area. I'd install a fixed tank with a proper vent line to the outside of the enclosure, so gas fumes don't build up in there especially on hot days. Many folks have been blown to smithereenies by not doing so. What you've got there is a ticking time bomb waiting for a spark.

Pay very close attention to this post...

The boat looks great BTW...

Very GOOD point! Thanks for pointing that out so now I know better for when I work on mine in the off season...

If you look closely the compartments with the gas tanks , they are well vented already. Infact I looked into spec standards and I was told my venting was more than enough. Standards require a 3/4 inch vent from what I recall. My vents are 3-4 inches.

As far as the tippiness debate goes, all you weekend physicists could not be more wrong. After having studied physics for nine years post grad I did pick up a few things. The story of Beans falling into the water happened because he was sitting on a seat 8" above the gunnels. That puts his fixed centre of mass (somewhere about the belly) approximately 12-24 inches above the gunnels. That could present an issue. If you read my posts closely, you'll see that my floor (weighing less than 100 lbs) is situated at the same height that the seats were, minimally elevating the centre of mass. To offset this, there is a great deal of "weighty" clutter stored in those compartments, including the gas tanks, tackle, anchors, not to mention the extra battery for a total of 2 at the back of the boat. These combine to actually drop the centre of mass allowing for increased stability. If there is any argument for increased tippiness, it has only to do with the trolling motor as it is mounted above the gunnels. This doesn't concern me as it is only positionned as such while driving. While I'm fishing, the heavy motor section is well below the centre of mass, infact, well below the waterline. As you can see, every aspect of this project was very well thought out. Thanks to all for you're concerns but I'm quite content with how it turned out.

T

Edited by Doctrt