How many things do you guys got running off your battery?

BFSC Kevin

Just asking because I have two batteries on my boat.

a 27 series deep cycle for my 12v maxxum 55lb bow mount.

and a cranking one that I use for the motor, the bilge pump, live well, lights and now gps/sonar.. would this be too much?

or should I have a third battery for all those accessories?

When I do fish, I normally fish a full day max.

So how many things do you guys got on your batteries?

The main battery a Group 24 Marine Starting Battery (Delco Voyager) runs the bilge pump, live well, lights, GPS/sonar, VHF radio and a AM/FM radio. That battery has been doing that for about 8 years now. I do have a on-board charger that I believe is responsible for the long battery life. But I am seriously considering replacing this battery before my first trip north in June.

My other battery is a Group 27 Marine Deep Cycle battery and it's only job is to run the trolling motor.

I have a group 31 deep cycle battery for my 55# trolling motor but everything else, 2 sonars, bilge, live well, lights etc is hooked up to my cranking battery, it is a 1000 CCA marine cranking battery, so far no problems. I always have a good jumper cable on board though.

I have a group 31 deep cycle battery for my 55# trolling motor but everything else, 2 sonars, bilge, live well, lights etc is hooked up to my cranking battery, it is a 1000 CCA marine cranking battery, so far no problems. I always have a good jumper cable on board though.

I'm somewhat regretting of not getting a larger deep cycle! I just bought the 27... Should've went for 29 or higher.. oh well.. the 27 should be sufficient for me...

Anyways.. if my cranking battery does die, I can always use my deep cycle battery as a last resort to start my motor, correct? well.. I suppose last resort is to use the pull rope.. lol or PADDLE!

I have always had a dedicated group 31 deep cycle for the trolling motor but I recently bought a 24v Minn-Kota so I have to drop to group 27's because 2 group 31's won't fit in the battery compartment. I should be ok with that. Everything else is powered by the starting battery. You have to be careful though. I have two sonar/GPS units on there and both together are 12,000 watts. Ok, the units will shut down if they sense that the battery is too spent to start of the motor but still.

I also have a 9.9hp kicker, electric start with an option of pull cord, it charges my cranking battery when trolling but also is a good insurance to get back to shore in case all batteries are dead, (which hasn't happened yet)

I have a small, short (specially made) jumper cables so if need be I can use my trolling motor battery to jump start the main engine. But in 23 years of owning this boat I have never had to use it. I hope I didn't just jinx myself :)

Cabela's had a battery monitor on sale two years ago for $14.99 that I purchased and it's good for monitoring two batteries. It nice to see how much power is left in the batteries. My main battery is OLD and needs to be replace soon. It has been going down to 60% when I am anchored and running the live well and GPS/Sonar unit. However, the battery jumps right up to 100% if I run any distance with the main engine.