Steelheading....

ccmtcanada

Well, I tried my hand at stealheading for the first time time week. My brother-in-law and I went out this past Saturday, Tuesday and today....blyght joined us for today's fun. We were at Oshawa Creek about a half hour before sunrise each day. No fish...a few strikes...but nothing great. Talked to other anglers and most mentioned no fish...a few said they had one.

The scenery was awesome...take a look at this pic!

gallery_60_23_29966.jpg

The thing we noticed...and it made us sick, is that each day, the garbage on the riverbanks got worse and worse. Today we brought a garbage bag and decided to clean up one spot in particular that we visited each day. Today was unbelievable...styrofoam containers, beer cans and bottles, LOTS of stripped off line thrown into the bushes, food bags....you name it. We cleaned up that spot...it only took us a few minutes to fill the one garbage bag we brought.....

gallery_60_23_21280.jpg

The real sad thing is that there are garbage cans every few hundred feet along the footpath that follows the creek. The spot we cleaned up literally had this garbage can about a 20 second walk away....

gallery_60_23_18974.jpg

I have been wanting to fish local tribs for a while now....and now that I have gone, it is disheartening to see how fellow anglers have been treating it.

Anyhow...just a small rant...I'll be taking a garbage bag or two with me each and every time I head there in the future.

I must have missd you today, I was at oshawa from about 11am untill 3. Fishing really turned on for about an hour around 1, I missed 2 fish and battled a third right to the end where it turned and snapped my 4 lb leader. There was another group that had 5 fish, and I talked to a guy carrying a HUGE hen. Lots of fish, just hard to catch when the water is like it is. FInal total for me was 0/3 today, ill be back tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you did catch any fish but good on you for playing nurse made to a bunch people that can't pick up after themselves. Always sad to see that kinda of stuff going on but at least your part of the solution instead of the problem.

Whopper

Thanks for helping clean up the garbage, ccmt.

I really don't understand why anybody who likes fishing would like to see the scenery spoiled by litter. Do they never plan to return to that trib again? Does it bother them that there are coffee cups, old line, etc. strewn around when they go fishing? Do you understand why locals might get fed up and eventually get bylaws passed prohibiting fishing in public areas?

Mike

I must have missd you today, I was at oshawa from about 11am untill 3.

We were there from about 630 til 1030 in the morning. I read on the board that you would be there as well, so we kept an eye out for you! Maybe next time we'll meet up there!

Cliff