Transducer Installation

RangerGuy

So I have to replace my transducer this week before the long weekend. So I figured this is a timely question :)

After installing the first one as per Lowrances instructions with the line on the transducer level with the bottom of the boat.

Thing is I get a small rooster tail off of the transducer when running at high speeds. Is this normal or do I have it to deep?

The spray shield came with the transducer because these are different and mount below the hull, it would be easy to make as its just a flat piece bent U shaped at the sides to mount into the 4 bolts. Its an interphase scanning sonar.

I'd try like the Dog says and try to tweek it a bit, on my regular sonar as soon as I'm happy with the position of the transducer something hits it and I'm at it again, right now I loose bottom at 50'.

Just found an interesting article. Thought I'd share

Transducer Installation

This is where the unit was installed when I purchaced the boat and I installed my 102c transducer in the same spot just a little lower cause the original unit would loose bottom when running.

I'm thinking based on the link above. I should move it over to the right of the step in the hull.

Because when running full out if I don't turn down the sensitive I get a full screen of interernce but still get a good depth reading

TransducerPosition.jpg

Just found an interesting article. Thought I'd share

Transducer Installation

This is where the unit was installed when I purchaced the boat and I installed my 102c transducer in the same spot just a little lower cause the original unit would loose bottom when running.

I'm thinking based on the link above. I should move it over to the right of the step in the hull.

Because when running full out if I don't turn down the sensitive I get a full screen of interernce but still get a good depth reading

TransducerPosition.jpg

That's a good article, and it does look like it needs to move to the right.

I like this statement from the article:

Results

With this particular installation the results have been excellent. The transducer stays in contact with clean water off the hull at all speeds. Good bottom echoes are obtained at all speeds up to the boat's maximum of 35 MPH. Also, the transducer is not throwing its own little roostertail behind the boat. The lack of such a roostertail is a sign of a good installation.

Thanks GCD, mine is installed with the bottom of it just projecting below the hull maybe say an 1/8" or 3/16" I have tried tilting it up a little and down a little. Either way it sends a rooster tail up higher than the transom.

BTW, dealer installed when the boat was new.

Thanks GCD, mine is installed with the bottom of it just projecting below the hull maybe say an 1/8" or 3/16" I have tried tilting it up a little and down a little. Either way it sends a rooster tail up higher than the transom.

BTW, dealer installed when the boat was new.

The 2 main screw holes on the mounting bracket should be slotted so you can adjust the depth of the transducer, there will be one screw you'll have to remove to let the bracket slide up or down. Fill the 3rd screw hole with a good marine grade silicone caulk or epoxy. The 2 screws in the slots will hold it until you get it tweaked out up or down, then when you're happy with it redrill for the 3rd screw.

Tilting the transducer will give you a false depth reading because it won't be shooting down directly under the boat, it'll be shooting at an angle in front of or behind the boat (out towards Aunt Nancy's house somewhere).

GUYS, just tilt the transducer a little bit forward. This does two things, stops the rooster tail and forces water over the complete surface of the transducer at high speeds which give you a good reading at any speed.

YES it will shoot the cone angle just a little bit forward but not enough to matter. This installation practice has worked for me for MANY depth finders I have installed for myself and other.