Musky Trolling Rods

muskymike

Hey guys,

I want to pick up a Trolling Rod this weekend hopefully and am not sure what is even out there. I have looked at the St. Croix glass rod and really like it. I am just not sure if there is anything better out there for the money.

I am going to pair it up with a Tekota 600LC.

What do you guys recommend/like?

Thanks

the st. croix premiere glass trolling rod is one of the best - it will troll everything from large to small.

if you are on a budget, an 8'6" dipsy rod that the salmon guys use will work well too on all but the biggest bait.

Quite a premium for those 'glass St Croix rods but I'd love to have a couple in the boat.

I got the fish in my avatar on a St Croix muskie casting rod but it is a little soft for trolling. I'm using Daiwa Heartland dipsy rods with Penn 209's for now and they work well.

I don't know if there is much of a selection for a trolling-specific muskie rod but have fun looking!

-Brian

if you are trying to save some $$$ go with the Tiger rods we use alot of ugly sticks here on LSC and they are awsome for troling musky you dont have to spend the big bucks for troling rods unless you want to look good for the next fisherman.

I have 4 ugly stick big cat rods that I am using have have been for 3-4 years now they are great and with the softer tip you can see when you have weeds and get you lure back out running right again with out having to bring it in to see if its weeded up. Troling rods are alot different then casting so dont let big names fool ya. JMO and alot of people from the SW corner.

How about the Shimano Talora? Anyone heard anything about it? I think the St. Croix is going to be it but I want to consider all options.

I started using the Telora's with the Tekota 500 last fall for salmon... best combo I've ever used!

not sure how the price stacks up with the St. Croix, but I found the BP prices to be the best for both Shimano items

Mr. Eh makes a good point. St. Croix's are the nicest but at a price. The tiger's are good. Lately I've been becoming a fan of BPS brand rods. Super cheap and good quality. a good test in the store is hold the butt of the rod in one hand and have someone take hold the tip and give it a couple movements, lets you get a good feel for the kind of action in the rod.

reefrunner

I have a St Croix glass trolling rod for about 5 years now.

I have towed plows, 14 inch frankies banging bottom all the time on the Niagara and such. Lots of snag ups . I have no issues at all with this rod and definitely would but another. Stay away from the graphite if your going to be towing big baits banging bottom as from experience it will explode in your hands, especially with super braids.

If you want a decent rod and are on a budget, go with the Maina muskie rod. I use an 8'6" Maina and the rod is strong, well built and is super sensitive to the bait's action. Because of its length, you can cast all day with it too. I also use Loomis and Shimano rods but I'd put the Maina rod up against any of them. You can buy the combo (great reel) for less than the price of a Loomis and have an extra reel. The downside is that they're only available at Bass Pro Shops if you haven't one real close to you. Try one, you won't be sorry.