To cull or not to cull

I wish they'd put a nuisance designation on these guys. I'd spend LOTS of money on ammo to get rid of a few myself!!

Dirty friggen things they are.....Every island on most waters I fish are wrecked by these things!!

Sinker

I say let the environmentalists spend a week camping on an island devastated by cormorants! Then send them back out for another week with a loaded shotgun and see what happens.

It's not over until they stop killing the birds," said Julie Woodyer, who belongs to Cormorant Defenders International, an ad hoc group backing the suit. Ms. Woodyer called the cull a ridiculous attempt to artificially reshape nature. "Ecosystems change all the time and that's part of the natural process. The problem is the intolerance for the natural process."

These people don't realize that there is no natural check on populations, we have destroyed the predatory animals and now humans have to keep overcrowding of certain species in balance by as he said, "Reshaping nature."

We now have a higher cormorant population than at anytime in recorded history and there is no other way to keep them in order.

Edited by pikehunter

I SAY BLAST EM ALL

We dont have many up here thank god, but all i have to do is drive 2 hours and then i start seeing enough of them.

.22 shorts in the boat can rid a lot of them without making a lot of noise :whistling:

last year they took millions of pounds of fish out of lake erie only,,,,they were not here when i was a child and not they are over running,,,does nobody in the government see a trend here,,,,if you cannot control where they are and belong then culling is the only option to protect the native species,,,,nobody thinks twice when it's a lampre eel,,,,is there much differance,,,,all the government has to do is mak it legal to shoot them and let the people that know what needs to be done ,done!