Boat Size

Towing was a big issue for me. I have a Honda CRV with a towing capacity of only 1000 pounds. The 16 foot boats I looked at and the slightly bigger motors would have put me too close to that for my comfort. (Once you add a few batteries, gear etc.) The total cargo weight would also be an issue for me when I'm towing the boat with 4 people and camping gear. If it was a newer model, I may have taken the chance...but mine is a '98 with 290,000 kms on it.

Eventually, once the CRV is gone, I'll get a bigger vehicle and I'll be looking for a 16 footer for sure!

Towing was a big issue for me. I have a Honda CRV with a towing capacity of only 1000 pounds. The 16 foot boats I looked at and the slightly bigger motors would have put me too close to that for my comfort. (Once you add a few batteries, gear etc.) The total cargo weight would also be an issue for me when I'm towing the boat with 4 people and camping gear. If it was a newer model, I may have taken the chance...but mine is a '98 with 290,000 kms on it.

Eventually, once the CRV is gone, I'll get a bigger vehicle and I'll be looking for a 16 footer for sure!

Yes that was a concern for me too. My car has a towing capacity of 1,500, so that gives me a bit more room to play with a slightly bigger boat and motor and still have capacity for people and gear.

No one has ever complained about "it" being too big!"

Buy a 16, and as deep and wide as the budget can handle. You will not regret it, well maybe you will regret it because soon after you will want an 18....then a 20 and then....

Actually I have heard a lot of people say "I don't know why I bought a boat this big"

Also consider things like a boathouse. If I went with a wider boat like the trackers it would not have fit in the boathouse.

I sure feel better about towing a 16 ft tin with my 2000 Civic sedan. I thought I was the only one.

forrest

Or you can do what a guy did by my house...CUT OUT a square of his garage door, and has the tounge sticking out of it!!

HAHAHAHA

I am waiting to drive by one day and see a HUGE hole in the garage, from when someone hooked up to his boat, and drove it away!

Pure Class right there hahaha seems like something i should have seen in the "Ingenious Peoples" email ahhaha

Take your time buying a boat, and make sure you are really getting that you want (within budget of course). We made the mistake of buying a boat a tad too small for us, and when I say small, I mean not in length, but in width. The beam of a boat makes a lot of difference. It's enough difference for us that next year we will get rid of a 16' boat to buy another 16' boat, but with a wider beam. Common to larger beams are thicker gauged materials for construction, weight measure, power restrict., and so on. Just a thought for you to consider.

size.jpg