Gulp Alive from last summer...

oncogene

Anyone has those Gulp Alive leftover from last summer? I got one only used a little bit last year... just took it out and the liquid has now turned very dark, like dark tea/coffee.... wondering if it's infested or something <_<

Mine went dark as well - probably gonna just toss 'em (about 1/2 a bucket left). Still not sure sure they're worth it but I got a couple 'eyes on the leaches this weekend in quinte. Also go a couple on grubs so can't say the leaches were anything fancy but I'm looking forward to trying them again soon.

I had heard early production was prone to going cloudy and dark - but that the product was still ok. Don't know if this is fact since I have not used it myself.

Sounds like the product is still working for TbayBoy, of course YMMV.

Still not sure sure they're worth it but I got a couple 'eyes on the leaches this weekend in quinte. Also go a couple on grubs so can't say the leaches were anything fancy

Were the grubs Gulp as well?

Nope, old fashioned yum pink and white salted twisty tail grubs. The leaches worked but no better than anything we used so I couldn't say they were worth it yet (could have been the jig colour as much as it was the leach). That said - they caught fish so they didn't suck either, more experimenting to go, guess I'll just have to fish some more :)

I fished Lake Erie yesterday for perch. Since our ban on getting live emerald shiners I had to use salted emeralds. On a perch rig I caught 4 LARGE perch and 3 smallmouth which were all taken on the salted minnow while the new Berkley Gulp "alive" minnow produced NOTHING. I am not giving up on them but just thought I would report my finding so far.

Lake Erie perch are VERY fussing to catch but I did think I should of at least caught 1 or 2 smallmouths on the Gulp bait.

I got 2 pails of alive for christmas, and they look good so far, mind you they haven't been opened.

I believe that the previous post stated the gulp produced nothing. well I don't use it for a primary bait. I just have it in case I run out of minnows and worms. Nothing like having some kind of back up bait when you're miles from home and still have time to fish.

Thanks for the link to Bekerley complain.... see what they'll say :)

To be honest, I used the Alive abit last year... and I didn't catch a single fish with it :( Mind you I only shore-fishing and didn't fish alot either. The only bites I got from the Alive was from tiny sunfish (but then is there anything sunfish doesn't bite lol) and the tails of the Alive actually broke off from these tiny bites.

At $20+ each I most likely won't buy it again.... esp with that annoying container that's hard to open, hard to close & leak all the time... bah.

At $20+ each I most likely won't buy it again.... esp with that annoying container that's hard to open, hard to close & leak all the time... bah.

Ya, I think I shall put that $20 towards 2 Xraps or something that I KNOW catches fish.

I believe I still have a pack or two of the PowerLeeches, so I will throw those in the boat this weekend!

Thanks for the info! Saved me $20.

I'll second that on the stupid container. First time I used it the handle broke off it <_<

If I don't catch any fish on the Gulp bait I will send it back to them for a refund :rolleyes:

Like i said in another thread i bought the 1 pint pail of the Gulp Alive Leeches for this season. I prob won't bye them again there good but i can just bye a pack of the leeches in the Berkly Gulp package. I find the solution they are in gets in the track on the lid and every time i open it up i leaks out in my box. So i took out about 1/4 cup of it and put it in a sealed bottle for future use on baits, whatever. I also took about a tablespoon and dumped the spoon ful in every pack of Gulp baits i had. I asked Berkly and they said it's safe to do and it helps further sent the baits. Just saying if you find it messy do what i did.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Bought two tubs last fall and they still look okay.

Didn't use them myself, but my boys used them up on the West Arm and they were hammering the Pickerel and Smallies jigging with them.

You're right about the containers though, they realy need to improve them.

Don't worry it's just from marinating so long with the die/coloring in the juice. They still have the same action and scent ? color is the last thing to consider, they will still work fine.

What color where they originally ? Coffee/dark brown is natural and is still a good color anyway. They will probably lighten back up after there in the water for a while.

Edited by GbayGiant

Don't worry it's just from marinating so long with the die/coloring in the juice. They still have the same action and scent ? color is the last thing to consider, they will still work fine.

What color where they originally ? Coffee/dark brown is natural and is still a good color anyway. They will probably lighten back up after there in the water for a while.

The juice was originally clear, almost no color.... but now it's the juice itself that turned dark coffee color... and also has fluffy stuffs in it (like fungus growth). The plastic lures are fine, no color change.