Got my new boat home

medmart

Well this morning i went to pick up my new boat from DT POWERSPORTS

they went over every thing with me and where quit good with all my questions

but one thing they said was to put a liter of oil in the gas tank for it's first tank

the motor is a 50 2 stroke and the kicker is a 4 stroke now i now i have to shut the fuel

off for the kicker but has anyone ever done this or heard of this

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

Rob

2 stroke break in in many cases is to use double the oil. ie 100 to 1 becomes 50 to 1. This is what they are trying to accomplish by throwing the litre in the tank.

...and are you telling us that DT doesn't fill your tank on a new boat purchase? That would have added $430 to my boat price (mind you either way you pay for it!).

Edited by irishfield

Yah.. that's darn close.. gives about 90 to 1 premix and injector is probably 100 to 1 so give or take you're getting a 50 to 1 mix to break it in with. Delays you using your kicker though... Try to run that first tank almost dry before filling with straight gas so you can use your kicker.

I just purchased the exact same motor on my boat. Owners manual says to mix the first tank at 50:1 and not to operate the motor at constant speeds or wide open for more than 2 minutes for the first hour. As my boat has a built in tank as well, I premixed in a 5 gallon jerry can a 50:1 mixture (basically 500 ml's of oil to 5 gallons) and ran that alnog with the oil injection to break it in. Did it that way as one tank can be a 5 gallon tank as not all boats have built in fuel tanks. Sure made a smoke show when the engine first fired up at the launch!

Same procedure on my new snowmobile motor and it has got 2000 kms on it now with out a problem.

PS. Nice boat by the way.

Edited by JohnAB

I have that same motor in the 40 hp version and yes the first tank has to have oil in the gas for break in.I have portable tanks for mine so it was no problem to premix. Tell you what I will do I will LEND you a tank for an afternoon so that it will be easier for you to do the break in.

vance

What is the proper break-in procedure for 2-cycle, 4-cycle, and OptiMax outboards?

Break-in is important to ensure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual.

Generally, for the first two hours, we recommend avoiding extended idling, sustained periods of wide open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil, either through the addition of oil with the fuel or programming inside the computer. Four- stroke models DO NOT require additional oil added with the fuel during break-in. Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual supplied with each engine.

For my new Merc 50HP 4 stroke. First hour: Nothing over 3500 rpm, Second Hour: Nothing over 4500 rpm except wide open for 1 minute every ten minutes, Next 8 hours wide open for no more than 5 minutes at a time.

Surprised the 2 strokes don't have the similar thing + the added oil

I have that same motor in the 40 hp version and yes the first tank has to have oil in the gas for break in.I have portable tanks for mine so it was no problem to premix. Tell you what I will do I will LEND you a tank for an afternoon so that it will be easier for you to do the break in.

vance

Hey Vance that would be great thanks for the offer i will send you a pm

Rob