Shore Fishing NIAGARA River

berns1019

Hi. New to the form so first of, hello to all.

I was thinking about fishing the Lower Niagara River, Couple questions?

1. Is it a good time of year to be fishing it?

2. What will be hitting?

3. What should I be using?

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Are you in a boat, or shore-bound?

You can find steelhead / rainbow trout from shore using long rods, floats, and roe or pink woims. I still can't come to toims with woims.

Do some googling on 'steelhead float' and see what you find. Don't be surprised if this board comes up in your search.

The only shore fishing I've done in the LNR was late summer down at Devils Hole in the wee hours of the morning (12-4am).. Glow in the dark spoons (helped along with a camera flash) worked great for anything down there. Never really know what you're going to tie into, I've caught Kings, Coho's, Rainbows/Browns/Smallmouth all in one night :)

1. This is the perfect time of year.

2. Mostly hitting will be Steelhead, with the occasional Brown and maybe a pickerel.

3. You should be using a three way swivel with weight and roe bag or minnow, or a fly if you have one.

Good luck.

Joey

The Steelhead fishing is still very good on the Niagara River! Water temps today were 44 degrees. Smelt are in the Lower river, big time!!! From shore try casting spoons, minnow style crankbaits, plastic grubs and spinners. Float Fishing using roe, jigs and flies can be very effect in spots. Enjoy hiking around and learning the river!

Watch out for water levels to rise in the early hours of the day. If you start at 1st light, the water will be "at the low point" The rocks will be very slick, watch your step. By 9:30am the water levels will increase/rise to "the high point". Watch you gear on the shore line if your standing on a big rock to get that perfect cast ;) This rising, falling of water level will only be noticed above the power dams in the glen.....

Good luck!

Paul Castellano

Cast Adventures