NF Deer Gets Taken Out From 950 Yards Away

drwxr

ive seen that before....thats an impressive shot i have to say....wonder what kind of gun he was using...although that deer had no chance.....he would have had an even lesser chance if he was 50 yards away so i have to say nice shot from 950 yards....

Hawk

Its just as impressive or not impressive ie the same as motoring up on top of a school of hungry fish and dropping a worm on a hook in the middle of the pack...or wading into a 4 foot wide stream in April with steelhead stacked side by side and dropping in a wooly bugger.

I am not a hunter, I sort of half arsed understand the sport and the need to control animal populations. 950 yards is a very good shot, takes a skilled marksman and a good gun.

Not really enough info for me to understand that shot, hunting or to prove a point?

Hunting is not about being fair. If it was we would not use weapons.

Thats an impressive weapon.

hunting IS about being fair to the animal and showing them respect by ensuring a quick and clean kill.

thats not hunting, its shooting. hunting involves using skill, wind, scents, calls, decoys, etc to get a shot off. too many variables for shots that long to be humane as a slight breeze could cause a wounded animal. it could wander off and die somewhere and possibly be recovered or survive from the wound. any hunter with respect for their quarry wont attempt shots like that. its funny how you never see the videos of people taking shots like this and only wounding the critters or they simply end the video before you see the animal keep running...

Edited by ch312

Ummm....

Impresive shot but I wonder about the ethics of that shot?

I hope the screen is more clear in person cause I could't tell if it was a buck till it fell, and I could not say with certainty it wasn't an Elk for that matter.

I Would hope most hunters would not consider a shot from that distance to be a very clean kill shot.

Cripes the slightest mistake and it could mearly mame the animal...or go astray completely

Not a good idea IMO.

A great shot yes, but was it ethical?.... no way

Identify your speices 100%, Identify the sex 100%, Identify your follow through 100%, then ask if you have a good clean kill shot....these are the questions that should cross your mind before you release your safety, and squeeze.

In that video I wouldn't have felt comfortable with a solid answer on any of the above.

hunting IS about being fair to the animal and showing them respect by ensuring a quick and clean kill.

thats not hunting, its shooting. hunting involves using skill, wind, scents, calls, decoys, etc to get a shot off. too many variables for shots that long to be humane as a slight breeze could cause a wounded animal. it could wander off and die somewhere and possibly be recovered or survive from the wound. any hunter with respect for their quarry wont attempt shots like that. its funny how you never see the videos of people taking shots like this and only wounding the critters or they simply end the video before you see the animal keep running...

Good points about ethics. But I was commenting on fairness. Taking a shot at that distance is more challenging, giving the hunter worse odds and the animal better.

Don't get me wrong I am not against hunting, but how in any way is sneaking up on or ambushing an animal and then shooting it fair?

Edited by DANIMAL

Alright boys - fishing season is open, so lets not berate each other.

I hunt and prefer the challenge of sneaking within mere feet of my prey and silently taking them out with one of my bows. But, that's my choice.

In some people's eyes fishing isn't ethical either...

Let's just agree that it is one heckuva weapon and buddy demonstrates some serious skill.