Salmon fishing - southern Georgian Bay

jharcnc

hi everyone...long time lurker first time poster...I have some real newb questions for this board of very knowledgeable guys (and gals)...

I've been salmon fishing on The 'Bay before, but usually as a "passenger" and not the "driver"...(ps, I am 32 yrs old not 15 which that might imply)...I'm looking for some basic help which would be most appreciated...

My wife's family has a cottage in the Honey Harbour area of G-bay, but I've previously only salmon fished in the open waters further north around 12 Mile Bay...my first question...is there an official salmon fishing season like there are for other species? (I warned you these are newb questions...)

Secondly, if anyone is familiar with that area of G-bay (Honey Harbour...Bone Island specifically), I think at a minimum I need to be out by Giant's Tomb...the deeper the better?

Third...assuming there is no season, is it even possible to catch salmon in May or June?

Fourth...I have a nice bigger game shimano rod and a tekota reel...what would you guys recommend I back it with, line-wise, this year (30lb fireline crystal)? How long of a fluorcarbon leader would you use? Lures are a separate topic all together (I know at least that much...)

Fifth...how long do you let out the line behind the boat before attaching it to the downrigger? If I'm marking fish at 80ft, do I drop the ball to 80ft?

I know, I know...tons of questions...thank you for tolerating my obnoxiousness...the knowledge on this board is practically infinite and I thank everyone in advance for their help!

ps...I will have more questions... ;)

hi everyone...long time lurker first time poster...I have some real newb questions for this board of very knowledgeable guys (and gals)...

I've been salmon fishing on The 'Bay before, but usually as a "passenger" and not the "driver"...(ps, I am 32 yrs old not 15 which that might imply)...I'm looking for some basic help which would be most appreciated...

My wife's family has a cottage in the Honey Harbour area of G-bay, but I've previously only salmon fished in the open waters further north around 12 Mile Bay...my first question...is there an official salmon fishing season like there are for other species? (I warned you these are newb questions...)

Secondly, if anyone is familiar with that area of G-bay (Honey Harbour...Bone Island specifically), I think at a minimum I need to be out by Giant's Tomb...the deeper the better?

Third...assuming there is no season, is it even possible to catch salmon in May or June?

Fourth...I have a nice bigger game shimano rod and a tekota reel...what would you guys recommend I back it with, line-wise, this year (30lb fireline crystal)? How long of a fluorcarbon leader would you use? Lures are a separate topic all together (I know at least that much...)

Fifth...how long do you let out the line behind the boat before attaching it to the downrigger? If I'm marking fish at 80ft, do I drop the ball to 80ft?

I know, I know...tons of questions...thank you for tolerating my obnoxiousness...the knowledge on this board is practically infinite and I thank everyone in advance for their help!

ps...I will have more questions... ;)

Welcome to the board....no disrespect, but you really need to pick up some regulations and take a look at them...they are quite easy to read.

Anywhere around the Tomb, Beckwith, Hope and Christian is a good area for Salmon, Bows and Lakers.

It is possible to catch Salmon in May or June.

I use an 8 foot fluoro leader.

My philosophy for how much line, is the deeper you go the shorter the line....the shallower you are, the longer the line.

Hope this helps.

Can't help you with the fishing, but I'm jealous of your location. I worked at Camp Kitchikewana for a fall on Beausoleil Isl. and we launched out of Honey Harbour to get there. I'm actually pretty jealous of anyone who has a place anywhere in that area! It's just so beautiful around there.

many thanks to the posters...I have checked out the regs and will be sure to follow them (in addition to picking up a slot chart and species guide, just to be safe)

ok, what about flashers? they seem so bulky to me...do you recommend them? if so, do you tie them directly to the backing line and throw your bait 8ft off it on fluoro?

and in terms of the line behind the boat...(thanks to the first poster)...say you're going down 50ft...would you guys let out 100ft of line and then clip it to the downrigger?

preferred baits for salmon? spoons or otherwise?

cheers

Most of the time at 50 down we run out 20ft, as far as flashers go run the flasher off of your flouro lead, and then a lead from the flasher to fly or spoon that is about 2x the flasher length, Also imo you can save yourself alot of headache by just running 15# to 20# power pro with no flouro lead, we have experimented with the flour leads, mono leads and no leads over the last three yrs rigging and have found no difference in catch rates from one to the other, unless you are running real shallow.

hope this helps

once again, thanks everyone

In terms of bait, I'm really only familiar with spoons (like the classic watermelon) and hardbaits like this one:

picluckycliveminnow1og3.jpg

can anyone give me an example of a successful fly bait?

thanks again

Guest gbfisher

The salmon fishing in southern Georgian Bay is in a sad state. Not even worth your time and money to target a fish that is almost none existent where it used to thrive.

Most fish are under 10 lbs at maturity if you get one......

The fact that I even rig at all out there a few times in the season is that you can catch Lakers(small clipped fin) and bows. You need a good size boat unless it is a calm day.

Lots of other types of fish to target in the area of your cottage. Closer to home. :Gonefishing:

Don't get me wrong. Trying is part of the fun.

Edited by gbfisher

Spoonpullers is a great place for trolling info for salmon and trout on big water. They might tell you that your trolling speed will depend on your bait type - flasher, dodger, spoon, plug, crankbait. All have a preferred presentation speed.

You write well - welcome to our community. I am certainly looking forward to hearing how you make out and progress. Please let us know. We like pictures, too.

Edited by douG