snelled hooks question

aplumma

I have been reading that snelling circle hooks makes your hook up percentage better. After learning how to snell hooks they all say it is used to attach leader to a bait hook. Can anyone tell me why you shouldn't use it to attach the hook directly to the line? I can't find any flaws in doing that and it is possible to tie without making it a leader.

Art

Of course you can attach a snelled hook to your line. I don't think the C/Os will arrrest you for doing it. LOL I used to do it all the time when using a special technique for smallies. I actually just made a surgeons loop and put the loop on the snell through so there wasn't really a knot.... Watch out for line twist in a big way though because of the propeller effect of any bait you attach.

I have to say the crayfish could really move naturally when I did this, but alas due to the new regs those days are over.....

I am sure you can snell directly to you line if you peel all the line off the reel every time you have to pass it back through the eye of the hook. :D

Many do tie a snell direct, but I always use mine in a leader configuration as it is faster and quicker to have a bunch pre-tied.

-sheldon

Edited by eye-tracker

I am tying a quick snell that lets you pass the line thru the eye of the hook then make the loop then wrap ten to twelve times and tighten. It seems to hold fine with out slippage .

Art

I've only tied my snells where you need to have both ends, but I've now seen the method you described. Now I've got to practise it.

Depends on the fishing method? Some deals like a spreader or perch rig require snelled hooks. When fishing for pike and stuff up north with live bait I used ones that were snelled with wire leader.

For bass here with big chubs I tie a hook to a 18-24 inch piece of mono making it a snell just because I like a ball bearing swivel above it because the big chubs-shiner swim around a lot and can tangle the line pretty good without a swivel.

For crawlers I didn`t use one, just a hook tied directly to the line, small split shot about 18 inches above it and a small float.

Don't you have to get out fishin' before you really need to worry about this Art! :w00t:

If the quick snell works, doesn't slip, and you don't have to pass the the end of your line attached to your reel thru the hook eye... Go For It!!!

I've used improved clinch knots on my circle hooks with pretty good success... but if there's a better way....

I am tying a quick snell that lets you pass the line thru the eye of the hook then make the loop then wrap ten to twelve times and tighten. It seems to hold fine with out slippage .

Art

Art that is a great snell to learn and it is very strong on most hooks designed for a snell. I have hundreds pre-tied for live bait rigging, bottom bouncing and to use with spinner harnesses.

Let us know how it works for you this season.

Fish On!

-sheldon