Used Line

Zubris21

Just curious how everyone disposes of their used line? I know there are some line recycling programs out there, but I don't know where to take/send my old line.

Usually, I just cut it up into a bunch of small pieces and wrap it in duct tape then pitch it. However I know this is a pretty bad method and would like to be a bit more environmentally friendly. Plus maybe this will get some others getting rid of their line properly, instead of seeing it laying all over the shore!

"Most tackle stores have a recycling box that you can drop it off in. (at least they used to)"

Still do as far as I know and it's definately the best method.

If you can't get your used line to a tackle shop, I would imagine that cutting it up, taping etc. or basically anything making it less of a hazard for animals is the best way to go.

All depends on what kind of line and what pound.

Back end of Power Pro spools (20-30lb) gets recycled into carp rigs. The mono line gets used for a variety of things.....walleye rigs, bottom rigs, etc..

If I can't reuse the line, I leave it with the tackle shop.

Anything wrong with stuffing it in plastic water or pop bottles and putting it out for recycling? I've done that before, although I haven't been back at this fishing stuff long enough to replace a lot of line yet.

JF

I guess I'm bad too. I just cut mine up in really small pieces with scissors and put in in the garbage. It's gotta be better than half the other garbage out there.

I agree that it's probably no worse than half the other garbage in the land fills. I pick up tons of line every year of the riverbanks where I usually fish. I just roll it up in a ball and stuff it in my pocket and then dispose of it when I get home. I know there's some places that recycle old line but I don't know of any around here.

I would never leave any old line laying on the riverbank... cut up or wrapped in duct tape or whatever.

I would never leave any old line laying on the riverbank... cut up or wrapped in duct tape or whatever.

It truly is an awful thing to do. I can't believe how much line is around the shores of pretty much any water body, its a disgrace.

No place around me that I am aware of that recycles fishing line. Mine goes out with the trash. If I'm out on the water or along the bank, it's balled up, placed in the pockets, and disposed of when I get back. It's a sham all the stuff left along the bank down here. Like the others, I gather it up for proper disposal.

I use my old line as backing on my reels. I have about 30 yards of old 10lb Berkley XT on my little Stradic as backing to which I attach PowerPro. I have about 70 yards of old line on my big-pit/surf casting reels...I don't need to fill them with 400 yards of premium line which I'll most likely never see.

There's other uses for old lines

- With mono, cut them into tiny pieces, take a lighter, blob both ends and now you have eyes for small fly patterns like scud, shrimp, crab and crayfish imitations.

- Use them for hair rig materials as bly mentioned provided they're still in decent condition

- Use them as leader/tippet material when you're learning how to fly cast on grass or pavement

I'm sure burning it lets off some chemicals that are hazardous, but after recycling that sounds like the next best thing. Certainly better than leaving the line shore-side and I like the idea of getting rid of it completely rather than throwing it in some landfill even if its balled up, cut up or wrapped in duct tape.

I have been taking my line and donating it to that project for creating an fiber-optic network in Newfoundland.

where do you drop it off? can you send it by mail somewhere? Haven't heard of this project.