What is needed to deadbait for Pike?

I hear this is a very effective way to catch spring time Pike but i have no idea what is needed to do it right. So if anyone has any pointers on how to rig it up and what to use as the bait i would appreciate it. Also i am trying to put together a tackle box of lures and jigs to take on my trip up to Anglers Kingdom by Red Lake in May and i would love to hear about some Pike and Walleye lures and colors that no good Canadian would be caught fishing without,i figure that there is no better place to ask about Canadian fishing than here.

Thanks,

Kinbud

If you are talking about float fishing with a minnow for a pike this is what you need:

Float obviously, live bait hook for your minnows, some weight, you also need a pike leader and a swivel so your line doesnt get all twisted.

I am not sure if you know how to set it up but here it is anyways.

Float goes on top, put some weight on the line couple of feet underneath the float, depends how deep u r fishing.

I usually put a swivel right underneath the weight and then on the other side of the swivel you have a pike leader.

Get a live bait hook or a bigger size hook, because pike like swallowing their bait.

Now when your float goes down when u get a bite, give it 5-10 seconds to take the bait in, dont pull right away.

Hope that helps

Good luck!

We fished just north of Red Lake for pike and did pretty well. There were several guys using dead bait. The standard setup was heavy leaders a few feet under a float, lots of guys used small ballons as floats to keep it on the cheap. Generally you be using the dead baits in less the 5 feet of water. A heave mono or fluro leader is your best bet (at least 80lb) I'd say the leaders doesnt need to be too long - 4 feet max. Make sure you have some big strong hooks too!

We stuck to lures and Im pretty sure we outfished the deadbait guys. I used an 80lb fluro leader that was about 12 inches long, never had a fish break off teh whole trip.

I'd take a bunch of spinner baits if I were you, #5 Mepps or larger work like gold. If you are there at the right time and place the pike will hit any lure though.

Some big plastics that you can fish weedless in really shallow water is good aswell. Some of our largest fish came in less then a foot of water.

Silver was my top colour for spinners. This spinner that I made myself produced several 40+ inch pike

<--- You can see it in the mouth of the pike to the left.

undressed1s.jpg

Edited by mepps

Direct from a recent article from Doug Stange (Infishermen) his best Northern Canadian Pike lure is a 4/0 or 5/0 willow leaf blade on a safety spin rig attached to a 4/0 - 1/4 ounce jig head. They get the safety spin and willow leaf blade rig from the storm wild eye series - keep the spinner rig and toss the storm bait.

On the 1/4 oz jig head they run a saltwater Berkley swim bait called a Pogy.

I'm headed to Big Sand Lake in Manitoba in June and will make sure that I have a good number of these handy.

SARDINES .they throw some serious odour and smush at the time of hook-set . frozen from the store work just fine .make sure you use the quick -set approach to prevent deep hookups. bobber drops ,, set hook right away. try to keep the bait perfectly horizontal for natural presentation.

a large single hook through the nose and a treble -stinger in the tail area [check the reg's in your area for legal hook #'s] why are rapalas allowed 9 hook points?just a question.

my best success comes from offering bait in 10 to 15 fow over a shallow weed bed . leaving the bait just above the weeds for cruising \hunting pike hiding in the greenery .

move often ,, cover water. braided line ,, a meaty bobber and a good pair of polarized shades. many strikes [my fav's] you will see if you pay strict attention.

steel leaders!!

fish on!!!

Edited by waterwolf

Wow this board is great,thanks for the info guys! Mepps was that you that i saw in that awesome report from Little Vermillion lake where you were part of Team Fury catching all those monster Pike? That report is actually what got me to start looking at the Red Lake area for my trip and it came down to Little Vermillion or Nungesser lake,we ended up going with Anglers Kingdom at Nungesser because they offered the American plan with meals included where as Kevin's brother at LV did not. We are going to be there May 20th-25th so i am hoping to catch the tail end of the big shallow water Pike action while getting a few nice Walleyes as well. What time of year were you guys up there catching all those monsters? Oh and if i am wrong and that was not you please feel free to disregard all of the above :wallbash:

Yeah that was me! We were There at the end of May on both our visits.

You cant go with with Brett or Kevin. We have gone to anglers kingdom twice now and he offers one of teh best prices arounf for this type of trip. There used to me an American meal plan, but I guess he ahs dropped it now. We usualyl go for the all bear meal plan anyway - it's worked out ok except a few late launches in teh morning.

If you are interested in reading about last trip to LV, they can bee seen here.

Dont to ge a nice 9 inch firetiger Suick aswell. Thay can be deadly!

133.jpg

Edited by mepps

Make sure you use a quick strike rig, pretty much a 4/0 ive bait hook with a big treble hook stinger attached by wire (35lb+ test). That way you ease the risk of deep hooking the pike and killing it. Also, a leader of either wire or flurocarbon leader material (50lb+ test).

A medium heavy or heavy spinning rod with at least a 2500 size reel and you're good to go.

Good luck!!!