Opinions on the Cardinal 502

Hey guys,

I tend to be a shimano guy, but I need a new reel for one of my medium action spinning setups and a new stradic just isn't in the budget right now. My fiance pointed out that crappie tire has Abu Cardinal 502's on sale for 39.99. I have a cheaper Abu 104 on my noodle rod and am quite happy with it, especially considering it was only about 35 bux.

Any opinions from people who've used them would be greatly appreciated.... I noticed a wood handle in one picture which i'm not overly keen on...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

UF

I have 2 I bought a few years ago on a sale for around that much , (was in the store to get something and like allways went to the fishing section and even tho I didnt need them they were abu's and they on sale lol) We use them on spare rods we lend out when friends come out and dont have their own stuff etc. I think they are 4 years old maybe older and have only been used by beginers or non fishermen lots of kids (read here abused)and they have stood up with no problems . Good cheap real

Hey UF,

A buddy of mine has a couple of them and has had no problems as well. For that price I may have to grab a couple myself. This morning I was putting on my spring jacket and found a $50 Canadian Tire gift card!!! :w00t::thumbsup_anim: I have no idea where it came from but what a great way to start the day. I still have another $50 gift card from Christmas. I better check the boat batteries first to see where my newly found money might best be spent. :)

Edited by fishnsled

Hey guys,

I tend to be a shimano guy, but I need a new reel for one of my medium action spinning setups and a new stradic just isn't in the budget right now. My fiance pointed out that crappie tire has Abu Cardinal 502's on sale for 39.99. I have a cheaper Abu 104 on my noodle rod and am quite happy with it, especially considering it was only about 35 bux.

Any opinions from people who've used them would be greatly appreciated.... I noticed a wood handle in one picture which i'm not overly keen on...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

UF

Tell Mercer to give you a raise and buy the Stradic! LOL

G

Tell Mercer to give you a raise and buy the Stradic! LOL

G

LOL - Don't worry dude, he's given' me my fair share of "bonuses". I used to work for one of the biggest post production

companies in the world and Dave hooks me up waaayyyy more than they ever did! And it's obviously usually fishing

related! Working for a huge company doesn't always pay off. :thumbsup_anim:

That and I'm in the middle of buying a house - deal closes in 3 weeks. I'm amazed that my fiance even suggested

the purchase.

Cheers,

UF

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

Thanks for the tip.

Just went out and bought it, it was marked 79.99 on the shelf.

Had to wait for 15 minutes for somebody to come and open the cover, and scan it to make sure it was still on sale.

Nice little reel, 10BB and 5.1:1, comes with two spools, very light.

Hey UF, I just picked one up myself - nice reel and sweeter price. Don't worry about the handle - the picture is last years version with the rosewood handle. The reel you are getting is this years 502ALB.

I'm thinking of going back and picking up another one or two... B)

Let me know I live by a new huge Ct store and work down the street from another one so if you cant get one there would be glad to pick one up for you and get it to ya .

Well my mother-in-law just brought me my new Abu 502. Thanks for the offer though! I'm glad they had them in stock. It's a little

over-sized for bluegill and crappie, but I might just have to test it out in the morning.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

UF

Made it to CT last night at 8:50, (store closed at 9 and the sale ended yesterday) and snatch up the last one on the shelf. It wasn't marked as on sale so I had to get them to look through the flier when I paid but it all worked out. I'm pretty excited to get it spooled and get casting, thanks again for the info.

I got one but I think I'm going to return it since I reel with my right only.

If your talking about the Abu Garcia Cardinal 502 that was on sale at Canadian Tire you can change the handle around to the other side. Just unscrew the little cap opposite the handle and swap their places. It's extremely easy!

If your talking about the Abu Garcia Cardinal 502 that was on sale at Canadian Tire you can change the handle around to the other side. Just unscrew the little cap opposite the handle and swap their places. It's extremely easy!

Just switched mine over to right hand retrieve and set it up on the rod. Probably be going out for another one tomorrow!