Trailer wiring problem/question

icefisherman

Bernie's got your answer.. you just have to find it. What ever rivet/screw/etc that is holding the outer bulb socket assembly together is not making ground. Your running lights are working by back feed thru the signal wire. Signal light won't work without a good ground. Fixed this exact problem on a BRAND NEW trailer for my f-in-laws pontoon boat trailer leaving Temagami Marine last August.

In that case found that they take a ground wire off the bulb socket.. run it out the housing and then have an eye ring on one of the bolts holding the lamp assembly to the trailer. They didn't even bare the steel.. leaving the lug touching the paint = no ground.

Put it back together and take a piece of wire.. ground it to the frame and touch the wire to the socket case.. watch the signal light flash..

Edited by irishfield

Your running lights are working by back feed thru the signal wire. Signal light won't work without a good ground.

Wayne, the left signal lite IS WORKING fine...

The brake light is NOT working although they both use THE SAME YELLOW CABLE.

This makes me think I have perfect ground....otherwise the signal light will not be working at all, right?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Wayne, the left signal lite IS WORKING fine...

The brake light is NOT working although they both use THE SAME YELLOW CABLE.

This makes me think I have perfect ground....otherwise the signal light will not be working at all, right?

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

No, read my reply on how it's getting ground. Its able to ground through the right side on signal but it cant when both are on . RUN THE WIRE!

If I had a buck for everyone of these things I have fixed I could........

Edited by Bernie

It's the ground on that socket base Emil. Signal I guess is working by backfeeding as well.. brakes don't have the flasher unit to let it.

Jumper a ground wire to the socket base and then go looking for how the unit is grounded to the frame after you see it works.

Don't know if this helps but here ya go,,,i also had the same problem on my vehicle,,,it turns out i had a module on my truck that was part of the trailer connector wiring i had plugged it into another trailer that was shorted and in turn it fried the module giving me the same problem you have!

I'm willing to bet the fix for this is a bad ground. I almost guarantee it.

I run a separate ground wire to all my lights on the trailers. Saves a lot of headaches.

Run a ground wire to that light, and I bet it works perfectly.

Sinker

I run mine right from the plug. A separate wire to one light......then a wire from there to the other light. This is a single wire I attach to the trailer with nylon wire clips. Saves me a lot of headaches......and its so easy to do. Use a decent sized wire too......can't be too big! Just make sure your ground in the plug, and on the truck is in good shape!! If that doesn't work, ground that wire to the truck frame and try again.........then you know the ground from your plug in is bad.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker

I was fed up with fooling around with trailer wires and fixing corrosion problems,

so I bought a set of magnetic tow lights. Problem solved.

I strongly recommend taping them onto the trailer frame or using plastic ties along with

their magnetic capability to ensure a good bump in the road or flying debris don't

knock them off. Both have happened to me. :rolleyes:

It takes about 3/4 minutes to put them on & take them off.

Don't leave them on the trailer while you launch or your corrosion troubles will return.

Good for other trailers too.

When not in use, they can be store in the trunk/ cargo area.

Keep them in some sort of container to protect them.

Just to report - problem with my brake lights is solved and everything is working fine.

It sure was the ground. For whatever reason the ground wire that comes from the plug to the back of the trailer is connected to one of the bolts that holds the tail light assembly....but the other bold holding the light assembly is the actually connected with white wire to the back of the bulb...soooo....the only way the ground goes from one bolt to the other is when they are tight to the frame of the trailer. But if paint/rust is in the way - there start the problems....anyhow...it is working now...hope for a long time./

Thanks again for the help guys.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman