Looks like opener is a lost cause...

kemper

Crowds are why most of our outings are at night....some don't mind crowds....some hate them....to each their own.

I fish to relax....and I'd rather catch less fish and be out there in seclusion and fish during non prime times, then have to worry about other's around me.

I MUCH prefer winter steelheading over late spring steelheading. I bet if we were to poll the steelheaders anyone that is halfway serious about it would much rather fish with the entire river to themselves in late winter/very early spring when the big boys are in and hungry. There is nothing that beats spending a whole day on the river catching double digits in steel without seeing another soul.

Crowds are why most of our outings are at night....some don't mind crowds....some hate them....to each their own.

I fish to relax....and I'd rather catch less fish and be out there in seclusion and fish during non prime times, then have to worry about other's around me.

You just do that so you can have your wife in the dark with no kids around....

I MUCH prefer winter steelheading over late spring steelheading. I bet if we were to poll the steelheaders anyone that is halfway serious about it would much rather fish with the entire river to themselves in late winter/very early spring when the big boys are in and hungry. There is nothing that beats spending a whole day on the river catching double digits in steel without seeing another soul.

I don't consider myself a steelheader....I consider myself an angler who happens to target steelhead when nothing else is open for me to target. But I agree with you Kemper...give me frozen guides, avoiding slush coming down the stream and seclusion to late spring...even if I don't catch huge numbers.

Anyhow, I have a boat now....so I'm looking forward to the new waters I can explore this summer.

Just not (Ihope) at the same time.

why not... that would be the ultimate thrill would it not??

a piece of..... while fighting a fish..... Heaven!!!

you have just given me an idea.... now to find a women willing to cooperate.. LOL

G

Edited by Gerritt

I never thought I would say this but

BRING BACK MARCH!!!!!

Actually I noticed last year that I nailed fish all winter long untill about the first weekend in april then I did not catch a damn thing untill opener (13 for 20 before 8 am) and then NOTHING after that.

I hate low, clear water.

a trib searching i will go...

you have just given me an idea.... now to find a women willing to cooperate.. LOL

G

Um I hate to think what would happen when at the critical moment you got a hit. You might be sleeping on the couch for the rest of your life.

I never thought I would say this but

BRING BACK MARCH!!!!!

Actually I noticed last year that I nailed fish all winter long untill about the first weekend in april then I did not catch a damn thing untill opener (13 for 20 before 8 am) and then NOTHING after that.

I hate low, clear water.

a trib searching i will go...

google earth is your friend!! use it to find the secret spot LOL

Good luck Kemper! keep us in the know

G

G

Now if you could get her to hold up a small portable tv with a playoff game on at the same time you were enjoying the other 2 pastimes...now THAT would be the ultimate! :D

Um I hate to think what would happen when at the critical moment you got a hit. You might be sleeping on the couch for the rest of your life.

it would be no different then now MS.. she saw my purchases... lol

G

See what happens when you get a bunch of steelheaders in one thread.

It either turns into a brawl...a match of who is better...whos pin is better and what cast is better...or who tells the best sex jokes.

geez

what can I say...steelheaders do have the longest rods.

lock it up. lol

Now if you could get her to hold up a small portable tv with a playoff game on at the same time you were enjoying the other 2 pastimes...now THAT would be the ultimate! :D

I would vote her Mrs. or Miss. Canada!!!!!!!!!!

G

Kemper... I am not a steelheader much like Cliff, I fish to fish... and to relax...

Given the recent Steelhead threads gone bad on the board I think a bunch of the guys are just letting off some much needed steam...

Kemper, if your a steelheader your one of the good guys here.. I have yet to see you bash another angler for the 1000000 things they seem to do it for..

I look forward to your report on your adventures!

G

Somewhere in there you have to fit a cup holder....Hold on are we talking about a woman or an inflatable pontoon??? Im confused... This is why I see a therapist.

I already thought about the cupholder, but where would she put it?

Naw, that's pushing it I think.

What you need is one of those redneck caps with the drink holders on each side and a hose snaking into your mouth....

(I've got every angle covered! :D )

I was just kiddin Gerrit..sarcasm is tough to read on the net!

I dont feel the need to bash other guys because I can work my pin better....yada yada

Steelheading is the ultimate stress relief for me, and also the ultimate rush. I have no problem introducing other anglers to the sport and you can garantee anyone I help out is going to have the same attitude about it as me, or I wont be helping!

I was just kiddin Gerrit..sarcasm is tough to read on the net!

I dont feel the need to bash other guys because I can work my pin better....yada yada

Steelheading is the ultimate stress relief for me, and also the ultimate rush. I have no problem introducing other anglers to the sport and you can garantee anyone I help out is going to have the same attitude about it as me, or I wont be helping!

Kemper.... I vote this for the most sensible thing a steelheader has ever posted...

good on you man..

it is steelheaders such as yourself and others on the board that make this time of year bearable...

I dont hate the haters.. I hate the game... LOL

G

I hate the game too Gerritt, that is why I fish by myself in the winter!

None of this shoulder to shoulder crap for me!

Trust me there is many guys I see on the river all the time that I would love to give a swift kick into the current. I once told a guy to take a long walk off a short pier after he walked up and drifted RIGHT beside the fish I was fighting. He didn't seem to understand what I meant...

I'd like to see the numbers in 5-10 yrs if they stopped stocking steelhead in the streams. If you think it isn't put and take you're a little deluded. I commend the folks at Metro E.Anglers, and others that put as much into it as they do. Without them, that fishery would have and would collapse if left to its own devices.

well I can fish Lower Big Creek year around, but there's a small stream, like 1km away from my doorstep that holds steelhead and I can't touch it until opener.... Hooked a few last december before it closed and i'm dying to try it again come opener. As some others said, I'll probably fish that weekend and maybe once or twice more depending on how the first outings go....

I'd like to see the numbers in 5-10 yrs if they stopped stocking steelhead in the streams. If you think it isn't put and take you're a little deluded. I commend the folks at Metro E.Anglers, and others that put as much into it as they do. Without them, that fishery would have and would collapse if left to its own devices.

I cant speak for Ontario tribs but ive seen the numbers for fishways from most of the streams in Ontario andthe majority of the fissh are unclipped and assumed to be the product of natural reproduction. Ive done electrofishing on creeks that are no more than drainage ditches and have found naturally reproduced smolts in them. Im not deluded Im informed. Instead of beiing a negative nelly get out there and join a club and do your part to make the fishing better.

Jigger,

Please check your facts....the MEA primarily stocks the Rouge with Steelhead and none of the other Eastern tribs receive any plantings of Steelhead. See link below...in fact, look at the source for the Rouge plantings (WILD fish from Duffins Creek). These creeks, as with almost every other steelhead river in the province rely on natural reproduction...which explains why we passionate steelheaders tend to get a bit over-zealous when it comes to their conservation.

http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/loc/mgmt_unit/06_app_C.pdf

Edited by wallacio