Looks like opener is a lost cause...

kemper

No rain in the next week...water levels are LOW as it is. I checked the place I usually hit for opener and it was low with only a couple trout hanging out.

What do you guys think, a waste of an opener or not?

I know if it does't rain soon ill be finding bigger water for the opener...or fishing browns from the peir...

Edited by kemper

Checked the lower today too cliff..I have NO idea where all the fish went. Must be all the way up the top end around the ladder?

I dont know, im going to do some hunting later this week, but i think im going to end up driving a long way to find em this year

Is it me, or did the regs change for trout opener? I could swear it was always 3rd Sat. in April, now they've moved it to 4th week? For a put-and-take fishery, it seems kind of silly to move this date. If it indeed got moved, that is.

Is it me, or did the regs change for trout opener? I could swear it was always 3rd Sat. in April, now they've moved it to 4th week? For a put-and-take fishery, it seems kind of silly to move this date. If it indeed got moved, that is.
Always been last Saturday in April. And outside of a few small lakes up north there really is no put and take fishery.

Up until this year, Trout opener was the last Saturday in April however going forward (ie 2008) it is the fourth Saturday (which was usually the last, but not every year).

Regarding the notion of "Put and Take" trout fishery in Ontario, as MuskyorSpecks states most Trout populations are self-sustaining including virtually every Steelhead river in the province. Some rivers receive limited numbers of stocked Steelhead however these are usually just a (minor) supplement to an existing, self-sustaining population.

Curious about one thing here guys. I see Steelhead reports here pretty much daily from southern Ontario, and then I see posts about "the opener". Which takes place in a couple of weeks from what I gather. So why do I see all these Steelhead reports if the "opener" is still a couple of weeks away?

Curious about one thing here guys. I see Steelhead reports here pretty much daily from southern Ontario, and then I see posts about "the opener". Which takes place in a couple of weeks from what I gather. So why do I see all these Steelhead reports if the "opener" is still a couple of weeks away?

Most of our trib's have a year round open season in their lower stretches.

Personally I just don't see the attraction of steelhead fishing on the inland trout opener when the best fishing is long past.

Thats a good question. One I can never figure out. Why would people want to spend opening day doing something they could have been doing for the last two months.

There are sections of rivers,mostly lower sections, that are open all year...the opener makes the whole river game in most places....

I know what some are saying here. Last year was our first year trout fishing and we were all pumped about the "opener". While we had a good time, it was also pretty much our trout closer as well....LOL.

This year, we are not sure if we will go out....we may go once after the opener, but as Solopaddler said, the attraction for us isn't as great. The hard thing is that not much else is biting locally....maybe go bottom fish for bullhead.....LOL.

LOL... Thanks guys. I knew that there was a simple answer somewhere. Living in the north, there's no restrictions period. Steelhead are open everywhere year round. Things are just getting started here recently. Most rivers are still pretty much iced up, but thawing as I type. If I get any Steelhead this year, it will be in June. And they will most likely be pre spawn.

Checked the lower today too cliff..I have NO idea where all the fish went. Must be all the way up the top end around the ladder?

I dont know, im going to do some hunting later this week, but i think im going to end up driving a long way to find em this year

c,mon man.....pretty much every trib on the east side is going to be full for opener....pick one and walk...or you can be like the majority and just fish the ganny....even with the 1000 people that are going to be present you will still get into double digits if you know what your doing...from what i have seen I will give you that...

I dunno about you guys but I enjoy fishing the opener...I look at it as having an audience, LOL....besides 90% of the guys out on the opener have no clue what they are doing and just watch in aww as you pluck one after another out of the hole they have been fishing in all morning....I know you experienced float fishersman can relate !!!!

c,mon man.....pretty much every trib on the east side is going to be full for opener....pick one and walk...or you can be like the majority and just fish the ganny....even with the 1000 people that are going to be present you will still get into double digits if you know what your doing...from what i have seen I will give you that...

I dunno about you guys but I enjoy fishing the opener...I look at it as having an audience, LOL....besides 90% of the guys out on the opener have no clue what they are doing and just watch in aww as you pluck one after another out of the hole they have been fishing in all morning....I know you experienced float fishersman can relate !!!!

Wow Just Wow to each his own I guess Edited by Musky or Specks

give me wide open water and no crowds anyday.

I've never had much interest in steelheading or even river fishing in general, and when I see some of those pics of the guys standing shoulder to shoulder it just blows my mind.

Even reading some of the threads around here where guys are talking about hooking a fish and then tangling lines with the guy beside him while they fight it makes me wonder how anyone could really get into it.

I feel like I'm being crowded with one other person in the boat with me in the middle of a lake :thumbsup_anim::lol:

I've never had much interest in steelheading or even river fishing in general, and when I see some of those pics of the guys standing shoulder to shoulder it just blows my mind.

Even reading some of the threads around here where guys are talking about hooking a fish and then tangling lines with the guy beside him while they fight it makes me wonder how anyone could really get into it.

I feel like I'm being crowded with one other person in the boat with me in the middle of a lake :thumbsup_anim::lol:

But why would you even want to catch a fish if you don't have an audience Lew??? Seems like a waste of time to me. :whistling: :whistling: