Remote Wilderness Camping

Basskicker

Unexpectingly I have 10-12 days for a fishing trip with my better half in the middle of August. Does anyone have any suggestions for a remote lake within 8-18 hours MAX from Oshawa with a decent boat launch for a 14' aluminum and Chev Venture mini van? Plan on camping in tent....looking for big smallies or big pike. I've been researching this for a couple of days...the more I look...the more I get frustrated. :wallbash: There too many lakes in Northern Ontario and Quebec!!!

I've been to Goganda, ON (can't remember the lodge) and had an amazing time there. The main lake we were on was not so good for fishing but the kind folks up there directed us to some other lakes where they leave boats and I experienced some of the best smallmouth fishing ever. Easily caught 50 in about 4 hours. On another lake we tried it was non-stop pike action when trolling with williams spoons. Point being, when hunting for a spot, ask the local owner.operator if there is access to other bodies of water other than the one your staying at.

Goodluck,

reefrunner

Unexpectingly I have 10-12 days for a fishing trip with my better half in the middle of August. Does anyone have any suggestions for a remote lake within 8-18 hours MAX from Oshawa with a decent boat launch for a 14' aluminum and Chev Venture mini van? Plan on camping in tent....looking for big smallies or big pike. I've been researching this for a couple of days...the more I look...the more I get frustrated. :wallbash: There too many lakes in Northern Ontario and Quebec!!!

How big of a fourteen footer could you line it up some rapids? Kokoko lake is a great smallie /walleye/pike lake just off of Temagami.

Thanks guys for the quick replies.....greatly appreciated. Going to look into each one of them for sure. I can't wait....1 month off from work....getting married, honeymoon down south and 2 weeks of fishing up north!! :thumbsup_anim:

Jason

You lucky sod :) .

Congrat's!

~~~About 45min. N. of North Bay off hwy 11 Lake Wickstead, flows into the Martin River chain. Plenty of pike, and Walleyes, easy launch area, but lake known for eating props, camping sites are great find an island with a point, and there will be a camp site near by, washrooms are two logs side by each, bring lots of TP. No where to buy gas on the lake anything else. Nearest store up at Martin River Lodge, has gas, food, and LCBO Lic.

Turn right at Martin Lake Road, cross 2nd. bridge, watch for trail leading off on your left follow it up river, a wee bit bumpy, but turns into a great parking area, and launch. I'm usually there also week after the long weekend

Biscotasing comes to mind, had a wonderful camping trip up there with my son and a friend of his.

I also know some smaller lakes in the French River area but most of them don't have boat launches, you have to hike in to them but if you want "remote"!

Two weeks eh....

One late summer three of us started on the 652 north of Cochrane at Detour Mine and fished and camped our way down to the lakes off of Red Squirrel Road north of Temagami. Truck camping all the way it was a first time I did this and really enjoyed the trip. Didn't have a boat but did have a float tube. Having a boat would have been great as some bigger lakes I didn't venture onto would have been fun to try.

The lakes up there are endless and camping is allowed anywhere along the road and lakesides for up to 21 days stay. Pike, trout and walleye fishing are the opps. The bugs by then will be settled down.