Cant wait for nipissing

little angler

Hey everyone have not been on the account in a while now. In July my family and i will be heading off to nipissing for our annual summer trip. Cant wait its so far away. And having to go to school each day makes it seem even longer,grade eight aint a walk in the park. Anyways i was just wondering if anyone had some fishing tips for fishing the south shore of nipissing , staying at promised land . Im looking to catch some good size bass small mouth and large and maybe my first musky i would appreciate some pointers if you have any! :clapping::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

L.A

Edited by little angler

anal fishing trip? doesn't sound like you really want to go buddy.

haha just kidding with ya.

haven't fished there yet so can't give u any info, good luck though... school is brutal indeed

LOL thanks bro gotta work on spelling see school is killing my brain im daft!

Look for drop offs and humps a Hydrographic map will help you here.., jig and a worm and your off to the race for the Pickeral.. as for the Muskie hit the weed edges in bays and around islands..

Many will chime in here I am sure...

Be sure to post a report and remember we enjoy pictures!

Gerritt.

For smallmouth I like to use smoke coloured tubes, I have been using a lot of chartreuse grubs the last couple of years as well. Cast them towards rock piles, or drift them over submerged structure. Largemouth are harder to find, but there are lots of back bays filled with weeds, I would check them out. Don't fish for Muskie very often so i can't help you there.

Hey little_angler,

I fish Nipissing about 2-3 times a year and always stay at promised land, (I'm on the cover of the brochure). I've been going there for the last 6 years and I love it. You don't have to go far to get into some nice fish. The reeds just beside the camp are full of largemouth, (it's the only place I've caught them in Nipissing), and the whole bay in front of the camp has great numbers of smallmouth and smaller pike. Stick around the islands of south bay and hunter's bay for every species. The walleye fishing is excellent on the main lake, just find a hump and you'll find fish.

You won't have a problem locating fish, as Frank, (the owner), will do everything he can to provide you with information on where to go and what to use.

If you need more info send me a PM.

Hey little_angler,

I fish Nipissing about 2-3 times a year and always stay at promised land, (I'm on the cover of the brochure). I've been going there for the last 6 years and I love it. You don't have to go far to get into some nice fish. The reeds just beside the camp are full of largemouth, (it's the only place I've caught them in Nipissing), and the whole bay in front of the camp has great numbers of smallmouth and smaller pike. Stick around the islands of south bay and hunter's bay for every species. The walleye fishing is excellent on the main lake, just find a hump and you'll find fish.

You won't have a problem locating fish, as Frank, (the owner), will do everything he can to provide you with information on where to go and what to use.

If you need more info send me a PM.

this will be my 3rd time this year frank is a great help thanks!

I was talking to Frank on the weekend. Unfortunately he has sold the camp and is moving to Ottawa. Really too bad cause he is a great guy.

I hope the new owners are as conscientious as Frank.

Little Angler, I believe I have seen you and your family out fishing when you are here as I pass by to my place. Great end of the lake for bass. All kinds of them. Don't often fish for them but sometimes will flip a few things out. Just seems to depend on the day. I just keep moving along the shorelines and keep on trying different baits. Usually don't stay in one place for the bass as they tend to spook easy after a few flips.

Hey bud, For musky you'll need a whole new set of equipment, it's not like other fish where you can get away with a bass rod for everything that swims. So if you don't have the equipment for musky yet, make sure your report card is looking good so you can extort your dad for some new gear. :D If you already have the equipment than get to those weed beds/edges, drop offs, underwater humps, islands, docks, rivers and start casting all day or troll the shore line is a good way to find and learn new spots.

Bass to me are the easiest to find because they are everywhere and eat anything, just get your jigs and spinner baits out and some gulp plastic baits or live minnows, leeches and worms and fish basically anything that looks good, docks are always good for bass. If you find any current areas anywhere on the lake, you can be sure that's always a good spot or close by.

Good luck, best tip I can give is just fish and have fun as much as you can and eventually you'll only get better. Time on the water is everything.

I was talking to Frank on the weekend. Unfortunately he has sold the camp and is moving to Ottawa. Really too bad cause he is a great guy.

I hope the new owners are as conscientious as Frank.

Little Angler, I believe I have seen you and your family out fishing when you are here as I pass by to my place. Great end of the lake for bass. All kinds of them. Don't often fish for them but sometimes will flip a few things out. Just seems to depend on the day. I just keep moving along the shorelines and keep on trying different baits. Usually don't stay in one place for the bass as they tend to spook easy after a few flips.

Your kidding me Frank is selling it?

Sorry to say I'm not kidding. It's done and sold.

When I went to see him on Saturday morning he was loading the moving truck.

WOW, that is terrible news. I visited him and Claire last spring for a week trip and they were by far the most enjoyable host/hostess i have ever met and ive been doing spring trips to many camps over the years and met alot of owners. Frank was wonderful in all aspects and REALLY has impecible people skills!!! He was truly concerned with our comfort, enjoyment and ability to have a succesful trip.........absolutely a wonderful pair that really seemed passionate about their lifestyle......i hope they are at least going to be back someday or continue at another lodge somewhere. I was planning on going back this summer but i dunno, they were half the reason i wanted to return. Ive jumped around alot and really thought i found a place i could settle on going every year.....this is really bad news. Well, i guess all i can say, is good luck to them both....they are wonderful people. Very Sad

Hey Bernie, did they finish that monster log home they were working on around the corner from Promise Land last spring yet

Nippissing130.jpg

Im gonna miss this guy at the camp as well, im sure hes not happy about leaving the Lake

Nippissing129.jpg

Hey Bernie, did they finish that monster log home they were working on around the corner from Promise Land last spring yet

Nippissing130.jpg

Nippissing129.jpg

Go by it so often that I dont notice the changes. So I took this on my way out to check the bay for open water.

P1020024.jpg

Frank and I had a good conversation Saturday. He's fine, or so he says. Just too much for him Wayne. He said he hasn't time for himself and Claire. Heard this same story from many lodge owners over the years. We get to know most local lodge owners in our line of business. I invited him to go fishing with me next time he's here. Said he will try to take me up on that invitation.

I Like the largemouth mailbox lol. Still doesnt look very lived in or "homie"

I spoke with Frank as well about the life of a lodgeowner as another friend of mine bought a place up near Elliot Lake. (which coincidentally frank looked at before he bought promise land) Frank had exactly the same to say about it as my friend. Its work work work from sunrise to sunset and beyond. 7 days a week. And Frank aint kiddin , i didnt see him stop for more than 5 minutes at a time lol. And that was usually just to stop on the deck and sit and talk with us to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. Other than that it was cuttin the grass........spreading topsoil..........getting boats ready for arrivals the next morning..........checking people in........cleaning fish............etc etc etc..........Most people when looking at those who own a camp or lodge think of it as glamorous, i know i did, "Living the dream" if you will...........which im sure you get alot of satisfaction out of it, but as all lodge owners mention, it is a lifestyle........one that doesnt make you much money. Once you start to get a bit saved up off the lodge, it goes right into the lodge for something. Hopefully all his hard work got him something when it sold. Its a shame to see them go.

Well my dad phoned promised land camp 3 days ago Frank and Claire are gone indeed, didn't even get to say good bye :(. When my dad phoned he asked for Claire or Frank and the new guy said they had just sold the place and what not. The new guy Henning seems really nice my dad says. Him and his wife have just moved from kitchener so i thought i might just let you know about that, I'm sure the new guy Henning and his wife will make us feel at home just as Frank and Claire did. ;):D