Self-Inflating air mattress... Please Help...

gone_fishin

so, as the title reads, i just picked up one of these fancy "self-inflating" air mattresses that was on sale at Gagnon's yesterday for $25.

i got home and took it out of it's case, it didn't come with any directions, so i was kinda confused right off the bat...

i saw that it had a small valve in one corner, that opens (loosens) and closes (tightens). so i open it up and expect the thing to be inflated when i get up in the morning (this morning). it definitely was not inflated.

so now i'm thinking, is this thing broken, or am i a complete tool?

anyone know how to inflate one of these things?

Typically after it inflates you close the valve and you're good to go. If that doesn't work you might have a leak. People will blow them up, but that's not recommended because of the moisture in your breath.

Edited by kickingfrog

If it has been rolled-up for a while it will take longer. I would think that after a day or two there might be a problem. You may want to try blowing a little air into it. If that works just leave it un-rolled with the valve open (that's how they should be stored when you not using them anyway) to let it "dry-out".

I'm not very familiar with these mattresses,

but is it possible there may have to be a Co2 cartriage or similar item attached to it for inflation?

nah, these things are literally "self-inflating"... well, when they aren't broken... she's goin back tomorrow morning... that's alright though, gives me an excuse to get out of the house and away from homework.

i think there is a leak in the valve, i filled it up manually, but the air releases once i take my mouth off the valve.

thanks for your help.

I have a couple of the higher-end therma-rest mattresses. If their is a leak they will "self inflate" then with 2 beaths of air in the valve I am done.

So I am thinking that one of 3 things has happened:

1) The valves are obstructed

2) You did not take all the packaging off :wallbash:

3) It is a really bad product that does not do what it was advertised to do. I saw those mattresses, retail $100? I think not.

forrest

i think there is a leak in the valve, i filled it up manually, but the air releases once i take my mouth off the valve.

thanks for your help.

It is not a one-way valve so it will release air when you take your mouth off the valve. Try closing the valve while still blowing. If it loses air AFTER closing the valve then it is indeed faulty. The fact that you were able to "blow" up a "self-inflating" mattress means it is not.

These things will "self-inflate" much better if stored properly (which is not rolled up).

Did you get the problem solved? I'm in Oshawa and can PM you my number. I have a couple working ones you can look at and we can have a look at yours. Save you from walking in and trying to return something that isnt broken.

As far self-inflating Thermarest style mattresses go, the term "self-inflating" is a misnomer.

Yeah sure they'll fill up with a bit of air, but never fully inflate.

A couple puffs of air in the valve, close it and you're good to go.

It's highly unlikely you've got a problem or defect with yours...

i got it to work. after inflating it manually the first time, then releasing all of the air, i tried opening up the valve again, and this time it inflated itself. who knows how long it was rolled up for at the manufacturers building and the store, it seems to be working now. i guess it just needed to be stretched out.

it doesn't completely fill up like someone stated, but 2 breaths of air and it's good to go... the first time i opened the valve to inflate it, it didn't take in any air. so i think i've got it now.

thanks a lot everyone!

Thank goodness, another crisis adverted. Glad it worked out. The Collective is helping out all over the place. That's what it's all about. :clapping:

Now about tent waterproffing.... :whistling:

hahaha, the best thing is staying away from the sides of the tent, obvious but true... i've tried those spray on products, pretty sure they did nothing.