Bryan McCabe

Stoty

I think that a playoff pool is needed to solve this thread. LOL

Mcabe is the only Leaf where on some nights he looks like a top tier player and on the next night he scores on his net or something like that.

As for Mcabe and the rookie...nobody knows what was said or done on the ice and the rookies don't get their first game in the NHL by being polite gentle angels.

I don't think its fair to judge a player by his worst mistake (scoring on his net, for example), anymore than its fair to judge Toskala by the bouncing 200 footer he let.

As to whether he is overpaid or not...offer and acceptance, 20 20 hindsight is not a part of any sports contract. He likely won't be traded based on his recent reviews and no interest being shown at the trade deadline, so lets see how he does next year.

(I need a new signature)

Edited by Kirk

I'm surprised that so many people have rushed to defend McCrap...

I guess 7 some odd million/year is worth it to some leaf fans.... this is why it doesn't pan out ever in Toronto. You people are far too complacent.... "Well, Brian's a nice guy, he touched 100 points one year, let's see if he does better next year...." Who cares if he's a nice guy - He's an over paid #4 D. Leafs have had one of the highest paid d units in the league and owned one of the highest PAPG. Let's see, Highest paid D for the last 2 years, most goals allowed for the last 2 years, no playoffs for the last 2 years. McCabe's the highest paid of the bunch. I don't know about you but the hell with McCabe. Had this been the NY Yankees or the Arsenal Gunners, he would be linched by now... Time to get your heads out of the sand leaf fans and get angry... McCabe is just a piece of this problem...

I'm surprised that so many people have rushed to defend McCrap...

I guess 7 some odd million/year is worth it to some leaf fans.... this is why it doesn't pan out ever in Toronto. You people are far too complacent.... "Well, Brian's a nice guy, he touched 100 points one year, let's see if he does better next year...." Who cares if he's a nice guy - He's an over paid #4 D. Leafs have had one of the highest paid d units in the league and owned one of the highest PAPG. Let's see, Highest paid D for the last 2 years, most goals allowed for the last 2 years, no playoffs for the last 2 years. McCabe's the highest paid of the bunch. I don't know about you but the hell with McCabe. Had this been the NY Yankees or the Arsenal Gunners, he would be linched by now... Time to get your heads out of the sand leaf fans and get angry... McCabe is just a piece of this problem...

I too am a Toronto fan, Heaven only knows why, but I am. I'm not a McCabe fan but I don't blame him for his silly contract. That was someone else's screwup. He'd have been crazy to refuse it. As for his ability as a player perhaps an interesting test will come if the Leafs decide to park him in the minors for a while because of the cap and his high price. Depending on how it all takes place and assuming his pride is sufficiently battered that he rises to the challenge I'd be curious to see how he stacks up against all the tyros and hopefuls working their butts off for a chance at the big show. It might just surprise more than a few folks to see the difference between the seasoned big leaguers and the aspiring ones.

As for the leafs I'd be in favour of replacing Kubina, Kaberle and McCabe as long as they're rebuilding anyway. I like defencemen who defend instead of leading the rush. The occasional pinch or jump into the slot is one thing but when a defenceman is usually somewhere ahead of the forwards on the rush it says something about either the forwards or the defenceman, or both. All the wonderful rushes Kubina and Kaberle execute kinda lose their shine in the glow of the sloppy defensive errors they make, often because they're looking for a chance to rush again. I'm sure there are plenty of teams with a spot for an offensive dee. The Leafs have a surplus.

YMMV

JF

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mImiK8MwRg&hl=en"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mImiK8MwRg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mImiK8MwRg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Stoty.....I guess you are the number # 1 defenceman on your team......you are taking them deep into playoffs. Too bad the arm got stuck on your lazy boy.....BACK TO FISHING.......Leafs suck website has a different board

I didn't realise that you had to be a great hockey player and lead your team deep into the playoffs to identify a cheap shot artist!

Hey guys, even the greatest hockey player to ever play the game has scored in his own net. Yes Bobby Orr once scored in his own net. And on the way back to the bench some wiseguy in the stands yelled "don't worry Bobby....he shoulda had it".

So there!!!

:thumbsup_anim:

:canadian:

I didn't realise that you had to be a great hockey player and lead your team deep into the playoffs to identify a cheap shot artist!

AGREED.....Thanks Pinch!

P.S - I highly doubt that he has ever played hockey, with a comment like that.

Hey guys, even the greatest hockey player to ever play the game has scored in his own net. Yes Bobby Orr once scored in his own net. And on the way back to the bench some wiseguy in the stands yelled "don't worry Bobby....he shoulda had it".

PLEASE tell me you are not comparing McMoron to Orr.

Yes, I am not saying he is crap because he scored on his own net.

He is crap because of all the stunts he pulls. (read above)

There is no point in saying the same things over.

So there!!!

:thumbsup_anim:

:canadian:

Is an attempt to compare McCrap to Bobby Orr? I don't even know what to say. WOW!!! Do this for about an hour --> :wallbash: then return and edit your post please.

I'm a leaf fan and I agree, Mccabe is completley garbage and useless. Everytime he screws up he jsut looks at the stick and shakes his head. Like it's the sticks fault or something. The guy sucks they keep signing him but now that ferguson is gone i think the leafs will have a completley diffrent team next year. As for the slash on stewart, it was dirty but if you think he lsot the fight then I think you need to watch it again. It was fairly even till Mccabes shots connected, he won it no doubt.

Ok... here's my take on Brian... firstly, he has not been the same player since Chara tossed him around like a rag doll! I think his spine was removed in said event! ALso, he seems to be completely lost in the new era of the NHL, as he cannot seem to stop himself from clutchin, holding etc.. his can opener is useless as it just plants his butt in the penalty box and if you watch him in his own end, he just skates around pointing at the opposition, but not actually doing anything about them.

He has passed his time of usefullness and would better serve the Leafs if he would accept a trade to any team willing to give up a bag of pucks for him!

Again, just my humble opinion!

HH

I'm a Bruins fan you dorks.....you can't compare anybody to Orr. I was just saying everyone makes mistakes. And I was posting more for the humourous remarks by the guy in the stands, but I guess your having too much fun wreakin' havoc on the leafs fans to notice. :clapping:

Besides Stoty, I've forgot more about hockey than you and Maverick combined will ever know.

:clapping:

ANOTHER BRILLIANT STATEMENT FROM THE ALMIGHTY CHARLIED !! GO AWAY BANDWAGONER YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A TRUE FAN IS.STICK TO NEEDLE POINT :blahblah1::blahblah1:

Nice one Bud...first of all you know nothing about me so I wouldn't call me a bandwagon jumper. And as far as the fan thing goes, I watch more hockey than you could imagine, I even watch Ottawa and Montreal games and I hate those teams. I have no idea where you get the idea that I a bandwagon jumper. Its people like you calling others names and stuff that get guys mad in hockey posts. Gotta love the "INTERNET TOUGH GUYS". As for McCabe he is an avarage player. And he took as much money as they gave him, you guys would do the same thing. What about all the cheap shots Steve Downey has done just this year. Don't see anyone on his case. This was started by a Montreal fan that hates the Leafs and is nothing more than a useless thread!

I too am a Toronto fan, Heaven only knows why, but I am. I'm not a McCabe fan but I don't blame him for his silly contract. That was someone else's screwup. He'd have been crazy to refuse it. As for his ability as a player perhaps an interesting test will come if the Leafs decide to park him in the minors for a while because of the cap and his high price. Depending on how it all takes place and assuming his pride is sufficiently battered that he rises to the challenge I'd be curious to see how he stacks up against all the tyros and hopefuls working their butts off for a chance at the big show. It might just surprise more than a few folks to see the difference between the seasoned big leaguers and the aspiring ones.

As for the leafs I'd be in favour of replacing Kubina, Kaberle and McCabe as long as they're rebuilding anyway. I like defencemen who defend instead of leading the rush. The occasional pinch or jump into the slot is one thing but when a defenceman is usually somewhere ahead of the forwards on the rush it says something about either the forwards or the defenceman, or both. All the wonderful rushes Kubina and Kaberle execute kinda lose their shine in the glow of the sloppy defensive errors they make, often because they're looking for a chance to rush again. I'm sure there are plenty of teams with a spot for an offensive dee. The Leafs have a surplus.

YMMV

JF

No question this is all down to Ferguson's ineptness - I can't blame McCabe either for taking the money. If someone wanted to overpay me, I wouldn't turn it down either... But now that Ferguson is gone, McCabe is in the crosshairs. I'd keep Kaberle. They need at least one puck carrying defencemen and Kaberle has a fair contract. Kubina has played himself into getting a good return in a trade so that should be good this offseason - just hope it happens before the draft.

TSN reported the following on the trades that would have happened if these guys didn't have no trades clauses:

Sundin to Anaheim for 2 solid prospects and Edmonton's #1 pick this year.

OR

Sundin to Montreal for Higgins, a #1 pick in 08 and a third rounder.

Kaberle to Philly for Jeff Carter and a 2nd rounder

Kubina to SJ for a #1 pick and a prospect.

The remaining leafs after the trade deadline would have mailed it in and we would have had a great shot at a Stamkos.

Just think of what could have been and it makes you want to cry:

Carter, Higgins, 2 other solid prospects plus 3 first round picks, a couple of #2's in what is considered the deepest draft in over a decade and have shed a ton of salary. Two of those three picks would have been top ten.

Damn...............................

This was started by a Montreal fan that hates the Leafs and is nothing more than a useless thread!

LOOOOOL

Since when am I a Habs fan????????

I think you should take some of your own advice...

Its people like you calling others names and stuff that get guys mad in hockey posts.