Fishing in Cuba Help!!!

TJQ

OK.. so need some help from tourists that have gone before us!!!

We booked for the Melia in Cayo Coco (not Guillermo) for the end of the month. I've been doing some reading on some Cuba forums, and good info is hard to come by... theres lots of info about fly fishing in the flats.... lol.. I have no idea what they are talking about. I'd like to bring a couple of collapsable fishing rods with spinning reels, some topwater and rapala's to try my luck around the resort. They say that the fishing around there is pretty good!

Has any body else have any experience in this... are there licences to buy, when they talk about the flats what are they talking about??

Were also likely gonna go out for a day on a boat as well, but Im sure the resort can take care of this. Does anybody have any experiences in Cuba and specifically Cayo Coco. I figured that this would be place to get some info!!

TJ!

you are going to a great place man!!!! great time too!

You do not need a license to fish down there. Bring a few rolls of cheap 20 or 30 pound mono to give to the locals and you will make a few friends for sure.

As for baits, I had a travel rod with 10 pound mono.The cudas loved the small 3 or 4" gulp minnows. Cast and reel in as fast as you can. Topwaters... zara spooks and chug bugs! the Chug bug caught me over 20 cudas and a few nice snapper. At night walk around the resort cast into the dark let it sit for 30 seconds then pop it.

There should be some tarpon around in the lagoons as well.

If you like fishing with bait, head to any of the resturants and offer a few bucks to people in the kicthen and you will get a nice bag of shrimp.

Other good baits to bring Xraps, White bucktails...

if you need more info PM me!

OK.. so need some help from tourists that have gone before us!!!

We booked for the Melia in Cayo Coco (not Guillermo) for the end of the month. I've been doing some reading on some Cuba forums, and good info is hard to come by... theres lots of info about fly fishing in the flats.... lol.. I have no idea what they are talking about. I'd like to bring a couple of collapsable fishing rods with spinning reels, some topwater and rapala's to try my luck around the resort. They say that the fishing around there is pretty good!

Has any body else have any experience in this... are there licences to buy, when they talk about the flats what are they talking about??

Were also likely gonna go out for a day on a boat as well, but Im sure the resort can take care of this. Does anybody have any experiences in Cuba and specifically Cayo Coco. I figured that this would be place to get some info!!

Flats are like the prairies of the water. The water is typically only a couple of feet deep for miles around.

I though I read about someone here going to Cuba a year or so ago and he mentioned using rapalas, and soft plastics like tubes or power worms etc...

****I found these posts for cayo coco and cuba in general.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...720&hl=cuba http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...515&hl=cuba http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...908&hl=cuba

Edited by Pinch

I've had fair luck walking the beaches at the resorts sunrise for a few hours before the resort traffic. A spinning setup with 6-8 lb mono will do. 1/4oz jig heads with Berkley 3" Jigworms (pumpkinseed-tan colours), Neonz tails, twister tails etc., slow retrieve and twitching. Hail mary casts in 3fow to edge of the turtle grass at 2 hours incoming high tide and 2 hours on dropping tide works. There are schools of small Majora, boxfish, various Snappers, caught a small Fluke last trip, and the ultimate, Bonefish. Bones won't hesitate to jump these baits. A bit of luck needed fishing for Bones blind casting, with Polaroids, when you find a pod, lead the cast in their direction of travel by 20'. If they don't scatterer, should produce a jump.

What you don't want with this particular rig is one of those nasty Cudas, heheh, retie.

http://www.cubamania.com/cuba/forumdisplay.php?f=93 might get you more info, good luck.

I have fished the flats several times with spinning.

You can fish "blind" from shore or sight fish ON th flats. If you sight fish you need an excellent pair of polarized glasses. You will also need flats boots which you can get at Basspro, cheap but will last a few trips..or Williams in downtown Toronto. Flats fishing requires a degree of seriousness to be successful so a guide or a fair bit of research is required. Otherwise you simply won't see or connect with fish. Amber is the general colour for flats glasses. If the budget allows buy an excellent pair of glasses for the trip. I love mine and think they are the best general investment I have made.

You can shore fish blind and in that case the tide is your major friend...unless you are fishing lagoons. Pretty well most shore fishing is tide dependent. So know your tides. Some fish come in on the tides and feed and other fish use the tide to hunt other fish. The predators are the easier fish to catch and unless you are going to spend a lot of time fishing each day, should be your primary target. Once you know the tide table for your area, look for areas where the tide will be strong ie choke points etc. Google earth can be a major help here. Look for land forms which channel water or make water go around it. You can often see on GE channels dug out by the tide. If there is good moving water you will find predators. If I were you, I'd take a rod case and longer rods that you can put a little muscle into. I'd take a good pike rod...say 8ft. I'd also take a reel that can hold more line...just in case. Lube your reel before you go down and bring oil. Saltwater really can mess with your reel. Collapsable rods may collapse. Fish down there fight hard. You will need leaders. I'd also bring stuff that you would carp fish with...hooks...sinkers...a bobber if you fish with it. A baitrunner is great if you have it. Glup products can help you catch smaller fish as bait and even work on larger fish. Locals are friendly and if you see some fishing go and talk to them. They will help you and appreciate any gear which they basically can't get in Cuba. An old rod and reel combo will lighten up some Cuban's face like an eight year old at Christmas who got their dream toy. Staff at the resort will come up and speak to you if you wear fishing apparel or they see you going out fishing.

I'd also keep a lid on expectations unless you are using bait, generally you work for the fish you catch. Catching Cuda can be a lot of work or extremely easy. Mostly a lot of work. They can bunch up in groups but mostly I've see them isolated. When they are on a feed and you are in the right place and time, (tide) it can be some of the best fishing of your life. Imagine several Cuda's fighting over the same lure breaking the surface of the water to get to it. Talk about fish action. I had that happen to me once and I went back to that same spot many times never to see the same action again.

Edited by scuro

TJ!

you are going to a great place man!!!! great time too!

You do not need a license to fish down there. Bring a few rolls of cheap 20 or 30 pound mono to give to the locals and you will make a few friends for sure.

As for baits, I had a travel rod with 10 pound mono.The cudas loved the small 3 or 4" gulp minnows. Cast and reel in as fast as you can. Topwaters... zara spooks and chug bugs! the Chug bug caught me over 20 cudas and a few nice snapper. At night walk around the resort cast into the dark let it sit for 30 seconds then pop it.

There should be some tarpon around in the lagoons as well.

If you like fishing with bait, head to any of the resturants and offer a few bucks to people in the kicthen and you will get a nice bag of shrimp.

Other good baits to bring Xraps, White bucktails...

if you need more info PM me!

What CH said, plus I like to go for the Mutton Snapper when in the Caribean. A 1oz. egg sinker-swivel-18" leader-2/0 circle hook baited with raw shrimp (peeled). Wade out titty nipple deep and cast as far as you can, let out slack and back up into waist deep water... wait for the fish to send you a little telegraph message via the tip of your rod, if you use the circle hook don't jerk to set the hook, just start reeling. When fish is on back up to ankle deep water to land the fish.

Take the camera and use it!!!

But what about Sharks? :unsure:

Sharks are just like Tornados, they're more afraid of you than you are of them and won't harm you unless cornered or deliberately aggitated!

... plus, titty nipple deep is only about 3' on TJ

Edited by Greencoachdog

very very little sharks down that way... believe me I went searching for them

TJ another thing you could do is head out on a Hobie cat ( sailboat) resort give them for free...

you can troll and pick up some nice fish on the drop off. Cudas, mahi and some tuna...