Tracker Boats?

Wendel

:D

I think I understand your pain - I have owned many welded boats with out a single crack or failed weld. I have also owned riveted boats and only ever had one that popped about ten rivets because I had to make a run in 8 footers when I was caught on Lake Erie in bad weather. Welded, Fiberglass, Riveted - I don't care how they are made. If you beat them up they break. I did not see a single post on this thread where an owner said they had welds fail. I did notice lots of posts of someone knew someone or a friend of someone that had a weld let go. So it only seems that boats owned by friends or other people have problems with the weld. :rolleyes:

Wendel enjoy your PolarKraft, they make a very nice boat.

-sheldon

Thanks it all came down to price really, got an almost completely outfitted used boat for a little less money.

I still loved the look and the features of the Trackers though, I was at BPS today checking them out, the Targa's are really nice, but out of my price range.

Can't wait to get the new to me boat home :D Pictures to follow!!!

My tinny is riveted. It's leaks A LOT :D

Nothing that can't be fixed in an hour or two Dan !

There are two kinds of riveted boats: Those that leak and those that are going to leak

Quite possible.. but if done right they shouldn't. My airplane floats have 13,500 +/-100 rivets in them and don't leak a drop. I hit the water faster than anybody heres fishin boat goes.

That said.. what ever boat fits your budget/layout wants/style/colour/etc.. I wouldn't let welded vs riveted slow you down, but remember like anything in life you get what you pay for.

Wendel.. you're gonna enjoy that boat!

We had a gruman a while back. I've never had such bad luck. The guy who had it before us screwed the floor to the ribs and the ribs cracked. so we took out the floor and had them welded. The boat lasted for a good7 or 8 years until this one tournament. We were making the run to the weigh in, not even big waves and one of the ribs tore a hole in the bottom of the boat about an inch wide and 3 inches long. Water was pissing through the hole so high that half of it went out of the boat. So we got that fixed and welded up and it was running nice, new starter on the motor. Entered in a tournament. We were doing alright but the river was a little rough, the Ottawa river so nothing crazy. Making the run across the river we hit a wave and me and my buddy felt our legs move up, we looked down and the boat was no longer a "V" hull in the middle. The beam snapped in half like a twig. We looked at each other and had a few choice words about our situation. Luckily the boat wasn't sinking or anything. Water was barely coming in and we had a good bilge pump. We stood up and the boat went back to the "V" form and putted across the river. We fished near the weigh in for the rest of the day and didn't catch a fish. As for Day 2 of the tournament, well for us Day 2 was spent drinking beer and cursing haha. Luckily we still haven't gotten rid of it as the price of aluminum is on the rise!

Not trying to bash gruman or anything, we have a really nice canoe of theirs, but just a horror story. Enjoy the new boat!

Quite possible.. but if done right they shouldn't. My airplane floats have 13,500 +/-100 rivets in them and don't leak a drop. I hit the water faster than anybody heres fishin boat goes.

Hey Irish, do you still have to "slosh" floats (is that the correct term?) I got roped into it one time at the airport when I was a kid. I remember the fumes being brutal and thinking "this can't be good for me". And this was long before WHMIS.

I absolutely refuse to use sloshing compounds in floats or wet wing fuel tanks for that matter. Either build/fix them right the first time or find a new occupation. Sloshing compound will ALWAYS come back to bite you in the :asshat: Advise your students to never.. and I mean never.. use sloshing compound as an "out" to doing the job right the first time. Do not under any circumstances follow some kit builders suggestions of sloshing your fuel tanks after using proseal/seal pac/chem pac/ sealing compounds. If you use the sealers correctly, when building, you won't have leaks. Throwing slosh on top of it is a disaster waiting to happen... when it peels off in a sheet and smothers your fuel outlet screen. Things get really quiet after that... well other than your passenger screaming that is....

Edited by irishfield

I think Glen meant to say.. HASN'T leaked a drop since new.

As for welding... like I said earlier buy what YOU want and fits your target...but I'd hate to tell you how many welded aluminum fuel tanks that I've repaired by prosealing all the welds.. as fuel seeps thru the porisity (probably not a word..) of the welds. Not as much an issue with water thanks to surface tension of the fluid.

Personally I'd only buy a welded hull if the material thickness was at least 20% thicker than a similar size/load capacity riveted hull.

Ya but i'm not to concerned about it. I just throw in a little battery and a bilge pump and don't think about it.

Can you get to the drain plug from the inside? If so, just pull it while traveling under speed and all the water will drain out. Replace the plug before you stop.

Well if you're up this way, with it, before I head North... we can reset the rivets if you want...and look for any cracks.

I may take you up on that if i'm up there!

Can you get to the drain plug from the inside? If so, just pull it while traveling under speed and all the water will drain out. Replace the plug before you stop.

Ya I can get to it from the inside and I do ocaasionally pull it out at a good speed, but usually this boat it for small electric motor only lakes.

I have a 16' 4" side console Grumman with a 84" beam powered by a 50 hp VRO Johnson outboard since it was new in 1885. I ordered it with a windshield (driver only) and a HUGE rod locker. I had a buddy once say my rod locker could hold a body if need be :) It also has a nice big 22 gallon live well that doubles as a ice chest when fishing deep walleye that wouldn't keep in a live well.

This year I replace the electric trolling motor and just installed a Lowrance LMS 520 this past week and that is about all that has ever needed to be done on my fishing machine. She has seen LOTS of big rough water fishing walleye tournaments in Lake Erie and salmon fishing in Lake Ontario.

She's rigged and hooked up to my truck as I peck away here and I will be enjoying my 23rd straight year on this beloved boat tomorrow at Honeoye Lake. When I ordered I knew I would have it for a long time because it fills all my needs as a fishing boat. I can tow it ANYWHERE and fish the smallest lakes to any of the Great Lakes in comfort and safety. So when it's time to purchase a new boat take your time and do it right for what you want the boat to do.

Bob

Man Bob.. I would have never suspected you were quite that old.... :o:D

LOL, I guess I am (53) to most of you whipper snappers here :)

Old but very experience so I guess that's not all bad. But I will say I do take it a little easier now and no longer fish tournaments but rather fish for enjoyment only. You will one day too :rolleyes:

Here's one good thing I got going for myself, I am RETIRED and have lots of time to fish especially during the week when there's a lot less pressure.

Gone Fishing,

Old Bob :)

I have a 16' 4" side console Grumman with a 84" beam powered by a 50 hp VRO Johnson outboard since it was new in 1885. I ordered it with a windshield (driver only) and a HUGE rod locker. I had a buddy once say my rod locker could hold a body if need be :) It also has a nice big 22 gallon live well that doubles as a ice chest when fishing deep walleye that wouldn't keep in a live well.

This year I replace the electric trolling motor and just installed a Lowrance LMS 520 this past week and that is about all that has ever needed to be done on my fishing machine. She has seen LOTS of big rough water fishing walleye tournaments in Lake Erie and salmon fishing in Lake Ontario.

She's rigged and hooked up to my truck as I peck away here and I will be enjoying my 23rd straight year on this beloved boat tomorrow at Honeoye Lake. When I ordered I knew I would have it for a long time because it fills all my needs as a fishing boat. I can tow it ANYWHERE and fish the smallest lakes to any of the Great Lakes in comfort and safety. So when it's time to purchase a new boat take your time and do it right for what you want the boat to do.

Bob

So Bob what does an 1885 Tracker look like is it steam powered or did it come with a Ford model T inboard :w00t:

I stroke is it wood or the Hucleberryfin model :whistling::Gonefishing:

lol

:canadian::whistling: