passport for crossing the border on water

DANIMAL

The other day someone told me that I am supposed to have a passport and check in with customs to boat into american waters.

Example: I launch on the Ontario side of the Niagara, boat over and fish a NY drift, boat back over to Ontario and unlaunch. Do I need a passport and to check in with customs to do this, and if so how would I go about checking in with customs?

I dont think you need a passport, a drivers license would do along with another form of id. A passport is just easier.

you also need a NY state fishing license to fish the American side. The coast guard boat patrols the river and checks up I believe.

you dont always get checked but it happens. Im sure some others could give you more info.Cast Adventures perhaps?

To answer your question you either need a passport or a picture ID and birth certificate.

We we warned by the border patrol last season nurmerous times that they would be inforcing this year.

And yes we are being told that one has to check in and out here in Ohio.

I'll try to find another link that explains it better, but the following is an overview.

They never made an issue over it before as long as you never left the water but things change.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Ca...Land_040902.pdf

Edited by Whopper

I have my NY liscence, only been checked once by the DEC on Buffalo harbour about 2 years ago. He only asked for my liscence, but I heard now they want you to check into customs.

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by DANIMAL

Be smart radio customs at the harbor when or if you want to go ashore and do what they say ,have alot of ID(a passport is the best) and a NY york liscence if you just stay in the river . Before 9 11 we never had any trouble and I would gas up in youngstown all the time (twin 440's eat alot of gas and I have 2 250 gallon tanks ) pay my money shoot the st*t and go . After 9 11 I was off the bar in the fog (Im sure I didnt go past the black bouy ) I was hailed to pull up , as I didnt think I had crossed and was just up to plane I didnt stop , as I was for sure in Canada I (first stupid misstake)just turned off the radio and vawoom headed to Niagra on the lake at about 35 knots (second missstake I thought I was going FAST) I was still thinking what are these idiots doing IM in canada they have no rights HERE (BIGGEST MISSTAKE ) To shorten A long story we were arreasted at the dock at GUN POINT by the americans , and when the mounties showed up it just got worse alot worse glad IM white and had some resourses or it was off to GITMO for me. I never fish the bar or the river WITHOUT MY PASSPORT WITH ME , never go ashore (not that they would let me ) and allways have a NY linscence for everyone aboard . BELIEVE ME IT AINT WORTH IT to do otherwise ..

As of Jan 31st/2008 you need proof of (cdn) citizenship (ie. passport, birth cert or canadian citizenship card) and valid photo ID (ie. driver's license) to cross by land or sea. Passports are not (yet) required, only by air.

They are being lenient to a degree.. I am sure it depends on the mood of the border guards.

When fishing the St. Lawrence we have been warned to have a lot of stuff on hand because you will be stopped and will be asked for everything that they want.

Here is some of a discussion that I found on this from the Renegade.com site in Ottawa.

"If you plan on fishing any American water you need a NY license and I would recommend getting the I-68.

The I-68 is NOT required. I got confirmation from the US customer officers last year at the US border when I purchased by I-68 back in September. With that said, if you get stopped in US waters fishing, having the I-68 form greatly speeds up the check. If you don't have the form, the officers will take there time and fill out their forms with your information. I was stopped 3 years ago on the St.Lawrence during a tournament and my partner and I didn't have an I-68 and we weren't able to fish for 45 minutes. There was never an issue of being charged or anything like that but they requested our driver's license and fishing license. They fill out a couple of forms and also checked that we had all our boat safety equipment. This raises another point, in the US boats are required to carry flares. They simplied warned us and finally let us get back to fishing. In Ontario/Canada this isn't required for the size of boat we had.

My recommendation is, if you are going to fish US waters ensure you have the appropiate fishing license (that should be a given), get an I-68 and also make sure you have all the satefy equipment required for both Canadian and US waters. If you have all this and are stopped, the stop shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. "

I copied this from another site that this has been a topic of converstaion for awhile, this is basically what they are telling us buckeyes that fish the western basin.

Yes it a fricken mess

I-68's have been around for some time now. In the past if you didn't touch land, you didn't need to check in with Canadian Customs, in turn didn't need to check ini with US customs. Beginning this year, Homeland Security/Boarder Patrol now say that if you even fish w/o touching land you still need to check back in w/US Customs.

The I-68 is for every individual who may go by water only/cross into Canadian waters. What it does for you in simple english terms, allows you to return to the states w/o having to use a video phone or face-to-face inspection by Homeland Security/CBP. It sort of pre-authorizes your return because the Homeland Security/CBP already have your information on file and have been checked out. If everyone on board, including all family members and friends, have a valid I-68, then the return process is simple.

It's going to be interesting for the private boaters who are stopped by HS/CBP crossing back and are found not to have a I-68. Everyone w/o will then be required to go dirctly to a video phone. Remember, HS/CBP are saying that even if you fish in Canadian water and not touch land, it's mandatory now to check back in!

About the only time you're in Canadian waters and not have to check back in would be when going to Point A to Point B, w/o stopping along the way. Much like when a person from Detroit comes to the LE islands by boat and just happens to cross over Canadian waters.

To get a I-68 is similar to getting a passport, but easier and cheaper. You have to go to their office w/birth certificate, drivers licecnse and 3 passport size photos. Filing out the paperwork and getting the I-68 takes maybe 15 minutes. Cost is around $16.00.

You know it's going to happen, someone on this forum will be contacted. Hopefully when they do, it doesn't turn into problems becuase of not having the correct paperwork. From what I hear for 2009 season, if charters are wanting to go accross, they are going to have to be bonded for at least $50,000. This also is a HS/CBP idea.