recreational boaters card

grt1

Great thanks. Takes care of things for anyone using my stuff then. Not sure what I'm gonna do with those loonies for the rental charge though. Fishing gear I guess.. lol

Not sure and just guessing but you &/or your renters may be in a touchy legal situation if an accident was to occur (if you are not a registered business related to renting boats). Is it worth the gamble? Law suit settlements could be a killer.

No mention of this in the currently issued summary of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001 TP 13813 (10/2007)

They won't mention it until they implement it. Come on, it's the government. They wouldn't want to p*ss anybody off before it passes.

My small boats are owned by an Ontario Corp. If any of my children wanna sue me for issues arising from renting it's boats.. it's only their inheritance.

I wasn't referring to your children (or other renters) suing you but a third party. And in a civil court if its determined that your rental check list is a way for your children (or other renters) to avoid getting a Pleasure Craft Operators Card, it very well could be their inheritance & more that is at stake.

I talked to one of the ontario provincial police officers that I work with as to who is the enforcing agency for this card. His reply is that the Ontario Provincial police are in the province of ontario.

When I mentioned the fact that the feds are telling me there is no central registry and asked how they could verify if a person had a card or not, he told me that you must CARRY the card on your person when operating a boat and if you can't produce the card when checked it was a $65. fine.

He said it doesn't matter that they can't check to see if you have one, the assumption will be that you don't have one.

Looks like just another harrassment tool to me!

I actually believe it's a $250 fine. I know it's more than the fine for not having sufficient life jackets...figure that one out!

And Woodsman.. thanks for the thoughts... looking into all avenues of my insurance coverage that is in place.

Fines* for common boating offences:

Operating a vessel in a careless manner - $250

Speeding - $100

Underage operation of a personal watercraft - $100

Operating a power-driven pleasure craft without the required Pleasure Craft Operator Card - $250

Insufficient number of approved, appropriately sized flotation devices - $200 for each absent device

* Not including administrative charges.

Edited by irishfield

HOW do you guys let these become laws in the first place. Take back your government/country before you just become slaves to people in office.

Bob, I wouldn't exactly say our government has enslaved us. It has made some questionable laws but haven't all countries. Hell, look at what Bush has done to your country. He has literally driven your country into the ground like a beat up Chevette. The United States is merely a country run by suit dummy's doing favors for their friends and leaving the American people to fend for themselves. It's a country that spends millions of dollars to bail out mortgage brokers but do nothing for the people who are faced with foreclosures. Last year in the United States, a person making $50k a year paid a higher percentage of tax than those making $150k, that doesn't seem fair. But, whether we like it or not, all government's are crooked to some point, that's just the way it is. For the amount of complaining us Canadians do though, and I do a fair bit myself, I really think that we all know how lucky we are. Sure they pull some of these ridiculous laws, most of which I do not agree with myself, straight out of their asses but that is very minor compared to some countries. There is no disrespect meant towards any Americans on here, these are just my thoughts on how your country has been run by Bush's First and Second Reich and by the looks of things most Americans feel the same. On the brink of a recession with record job losses in the last 2 months, I'll take boaters cards over that any day of the week.

Bob, I wouldn't exactly say our government has enslaved us. It has made some questionable laws but haven't all countries. Hell, look at what Bush has done to your country. He has literally driven your country into the ground like a beat up Chevette. The United States is merely a country run by suit dummy's doing favors for their friends and leaving the American people to fend for themselves. It's a country that spends millions of dollars to bail out mortgage brokers but do nothing for the people who are faced with foreclosures. Last year in the United States, a person making $50k a year paid a higher percentage of tax than those making $150k, that doesn't seem fair. But, whether we like it or not, all government's are crooked to some point, that's just the way it is. For the amount of complaining us Canadians do though, and I do a fair bit myself, I really think that we all know how lucky we are. Sure they pull some of these ridiculous laws, most of which I do not agree with myself, straight out of their asses but that is very minor compared to some countries. There is no disrespect meant towards any Americans on here, these are just my thoughts on how your country has been run by Bush's First and Second Reich and by the looks of things most Americans feel the same. On the brink of a recession with record job losses in the last 2 months, I'll take boaters cards over that any day of the week.

You have brought up some very good points on the Bush administration and all true but I think Canada has eroded more rights away from it's citizens than the US has or ever will. Just take a look at your gun ownership rights or almost lack of and now this ridiculous boating card that serves no other purpose than to separate you from your hard earned money. There are other rights that you in Canada don't enjoy that we take for granted here in the US but I guess that's what makes us a bit different. However, I do envy all of you who reside in Ontario where you have more lakes to choose from than you can shake a Ugly Stick at.

Yes, both of our countries could improve to the better but I am very concerned with the liberal parties in both countries being so strong that the overall condition of the US and Canada is not going to be going in the right direction. That being said, I believe they are the best countries in the world to live in.

Just take a look at your gun ownership rights or almost lack of

Cuts down on murders :thumbsup_anim:

The boating card is nonsense and the gun laws are flawed but they are trying to keep people safe i guess.

Just curious though, which rights does Canada not enjoy that US has?

Sure we have tons of lakes up here but we just can't find those 10lb bass like you guys have down in FL and TX. One day I will get down there and get me some of those. :Gonefishing:

Edited by Maverick

Just take a look at your gun ownership rights or almost lack of

I'm glad that I cannot just walk into a store and buy a gun. If we were able to do that I'd be stuck with a lot of useless employees that i'm scared to get rid of!

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that there was no registry. So anyone with a good printer and some "skills" could make his own? Isn't that like schools giving tests but have no way to assign the results to each student? Why bother? How do you try to accumulate all the results (from out of business card issuers) into a registry later? Seems like more government logic :wallbash: . Did they think it would be cheaper to organize later?