GULP Baits

bassman

Love the gulp gobies out on erie for PIG smallmouth. Used to use live leeches almost exclusively, but have switched to soft plastic drop shotting and use anything from power leeches to the gulp goby. The goby is a bigger bait therefore most times will hook the bigger slobs.....one downfall that is mentioned, is that it is not a soft plastic and will become easier to degrade and rip off the hook as you use it

One BIG thing to remember with gulp (including gulp alive) is that its not well... alive. If you drop a minnow and a gulp which ones going to move without any help from you? Thats a big thing to remember - you have to impart the action that a live bait would impart on its own (of course sometimes live bait needs help too).

I've done the live bait test also,

1) live worms or Gulp nightcrawlers for catfish. 3 to 1 in favour of Gulp with over 50 catfish caught that night .

2) worm harnesses Gulp night crawlers and Live minnows and Live worms. 2 guys on live bait and I was using Gulp and I

outfished them 5 to 1.

GULP sinking minnows are my all time favorite for largemouth bass.

You can use them sub surface with lots of action, or allow them to slowly sink and trigger hits from inactive bass.

These are the type of hooks I liek to use:

91506-lm.jpg

Even caugt a couple of musky with these.

Edited by mepps

i love the glup minnow grubs, "3 in white and chartreuse, on a black or pink 1/4 ounce jig head. They are amazing and the walleye/sauger , white bass, love them down here on the Ohio river.

Tried the gobie drop shotting on Erie last year, non-Berkley tube out fished it, couldn`t even get a sheephead to take it. Don`t use live bait much and not at all recently, you can try the Gulp baits as trailers on a spinnerbait-buzzbait, instead of a pig on jigs.

They probably have some use.