baitcaster line?

bow slayer

time to spool up the new baitcaster.(Abu 6500 C3) I will be using it for casting musky/pike baits as well as trolling bodybaits. What line would be the best all round for this and what test? I was thinking braid but i think there are better options for casting. thanks

I always use power pro in 50 lb test .. i cast all day long and have no complaints.. With it being a smaller diameter than mono of the same lb test you get longer casts . just my opinion tho .. I feel like i can haul up a submarine without breaking off and also the braid acts like a knife in the weeds when the big ones make their runs ..

For casting I like 65# Power Pro & trolling I use 80# and have 130# fluoro leaders on everything.

Lotsa guys are moving up to 80 pound for casting also so as not to have the line snap on a backlash with heavy baits.

Edited by lew

I was one of the guys who went to 8o pound PowerPro, or Tuff Line XP for casting.

My Bucktails were weighing in at around 3 ounces and would break 50 or 65 pound test when I threw a backlash.

Keep in mind that 80 pound PowerPro is only the diameter of 18 pound mono, so it's not as bulky as it sounds.

I've been using 50lb for the last 3 seasons, no break offs yet. I think I'm gonna go with 80 this year though.....just because its time to change my line.

Go with the braid though.....can't beat it on a casting reel IMO.

Sinker