Simcoe Ice Unsafe

bbog

With the warm weather today CP24 reports that the ice on Simcoe is now unsafe. Can this be true? And unsafe for what? Vehicles, walking?

It was 30" thick on Saturday - and now it's unsafe (you can see I'm new to this ice fishing thing) :rolleyes:

Maybe it has more to do with the shallower waters near the shore. They will get the runoff first and will melt first making it unsafe in those locations. I would think maybe you may have to swim to the safer ice further out? Then again...it's just a guess. :dunno:

Maybe it has more to do with the shallower waters near the shore. They will get the runoff first and will melt first making it unsafe in those locations. I would think maybe you may have to swim to the safer ice further out? Then again...it's just a guess. :dunno:

This what I had been led to believe. That the ice would be fine for another couple weeks at least but you would need to get from shore to the ice in places that vehicles, run-off, etc. disrupted or broke up shallow areas. I hear locals will put down boards to get across early on, then....?

Was hoping to get out another time or two (as long as it is safe).

I was on Nipissing on the weekend. It was very cold here Friday and Saturday (well below freezing) but the sun was shining bright. In areas around the cottage there was open water by Saturday evening. The sun becomes very intense and will melt the ice in areas of rocky shorelines and shoals. There was a spot in a channel about a kilometer away from me near a 10 meter high rock shore that was wide open over a large area. It's surprising how quickly ice can deteriorate.

Trucks were falling through the ice 2 weeks ago but hey if you do not want to heed the warning go for it!

Walking and driving a truck on the ice are not exactly the same thing. I'm well aware of the post with the Jeep going through and I have no intention of driving on the ice.

There is all kinds of open water in front of my place today, there were sleds and ATV running all over out there on Saturday. Conditions are changing almost hourly with all this rain and wind, I'll wait until I can shore fish or get out in a boat.