Finally did it...

Gerritt

....and the Government can kiss my rosey red PICKERAL

G

Aren't they endangered? :dunno:

They should have just targeted personal watercraft owners but there would have been a huge backlash from owners and manufacturers alike.

Perfect. I know how to handle a boat and have taken navigation courses (long before the Op card though). I don't have much trailering experience. I'll get my card and be at the launch just when everybody else is trying to use it. Don't worry you'll know it's me. I'll have the keys locked in the truck and the boat on the trailer, but the trailer will not be connected to the truck. Wave, say hello, and be thankful that I'm a safe boat operator. :thumbsup_anim:

As someone who still hasn't taken the test for some of the same reasons mentioned above, I have a question; Does the test cover any aspects of trailering?

It doesn't cover anything about how to drive a boat for that matter !

Edited by irishfield

Kickingfrog...if you took those courses with cps they will give you a card if you rejoin.

The problem with an on water course and test is how do you do it cheap and not involve a gov. agency because they don't want anything to do with it. An on water test through coast guard or trans ca would compare with getting a motorcycle license and whats that cost around $500? You think $30 is a cash grab.

They didn't go after pwc because the #2 killer is the small tinners that a lot of us use, #1 is canoes.

The big problem with the boat test is it draws people away from a decent boating course. Guessing your way through a test doesn't help much on the water. I know some who have never been in a boat that passed the test.

It is possible that the whole thing may collapse yet due to noncompliance.

Don't bug me trolling... bug the guy doing 100kms on the sea-doo riding the wake of other boaters... inconvenience everyone for the sake of a few idiots...

Cash Grab is right... Most fishermen are an honest crowd...

Target the idiots that are the problem... dont paint all boaters with such a wide brush... Hell my FIL has to take it after 40+ years of safe boating... is this really what this exam was supposed to target?

it is Bull... plain and simple...

But being the lawful sort I am... I have NO CHOICE but to comply.

G

target the idiots that are the problem is correct. i know this is a fishing board, and although i have been fishing my entire life, i also own and enjoy pwc. not every pwc owner travels at 100km/hr riding in the wakes of boats. try not to paint all pwc riders with such a wide brush....

i have several friends who own pwc. we all obey the rules of the water. do we like to jump waves and have fun? of coarse we do. are there idiots who break the rules and ruin the reputation of pwc for the rest of us? of coarse there are.

in my years of fishing, i have never had a pwc buzz by my boat. they generally stay pretty far away. i'm sorry to say that i cannot say the same for fishermen. i can't count the number of bass boats and other idiots that cruise by at full throttle within casting distance of our boat. it is this type of fisherman that thinks they own the water and can do as they please. the water is for everyone to enjoy. fisherman and pwc alike.

so please target the idiots, whoever they might be.

AS of Jan 7 2008

REGARDLESS OF THE TEST FORMAT, NO TEST CAN BE ADMINISTERED IN THE CANDIDATE’S PRIVATE RESIDENCE.

The test site must be owned, leased, occupies, or otherwise controlled by the course provider but that is in no way under the control of a candidate taking a test.

There must be no consumption of alcoholic beverages at the test site.

All candidates must verify that they have not written a test within the last 24 hours.

There is some stuff on ID's and a whole bunch of other stuff but you get the picture.

hmm.. i'd have to call shenanigans on that.. i did the test this past thurs. at my office.. and i have booze in my desk :)

i agree that its a cash grab as well..

Our vessel operators license has been mandatory since '98 here, it is designated on our drivers license with a class:V (for vessel).

I don't think it's a cash grab at all, they do it to educate!... if you had to study for the test or missed any of the questions... you didn't know as much as you thought you did!!!

Our test consists of 60 questions and a passing grade is 80%... I did have to study for it and I did learn a few things.

It is not a bad thing!

Edited by Greencoachdog

Dawg... did your test actually teach you about boat operation??

ours does not!

Just basic safety junk and what certain bouy's mean... that is it... anyone with a brain could breeze through this test..

I have a good idea where I messed up... what sustained wind speed in knots is considered "Strong" and the proper way to put on a life jacket while in the water... I had the correct answers just in the wrong order...

If your test acually teaches folks HOW to operate a vessel.. it would be well worth the $$

Here... it is nothing more then 99.9% of people already know if they use common sense.

G

Did your drivers license exam actually teach you about operating a car?... mine didn't, sure I had to take the driving test the first time to see if I knew how to operate a vehicle... but they didn't teach me! It's the same thing Gerritt, mainly to educate you about the laws!

I went through drivers ed.... but you do bring up a valid point...

However that said.. the operators guides makes it so pretty much any tom dick and harry can drive a car...

I wish the boat exam was as through...

G