TV purchase. Where/What is best?

Bernie

Funny you mention that BBoG.... as FutureShop and BB are one and the same.... BB is the parent company to FutureShop..

PS... FutureShop is where I am still able to purchase @ cost at...

G

I am aware of the connection. Regardless of the connection these two entities often run different promotions. So a TV available at both places may only be on sale at one. Buying at the location not on sale and using their price match plus 10% of the difference gets the price down a little more. Of course after the sale you are still entitled to a further reduction if the TV is offered elsewhere at a lower price (for a limited time that varies on product).

Just illustrating an effective use of the multi-brand strategy in the favour of the consumer. :whistling:

It all depend on how much you want to spend.

Low to Main stream TV? I would go with LCD.

If I had money to spend (High End) I would get Plasma. (Pioneer Elite Series)

or

If you want best bang for your buck? Look for Sony RearProjection SXRD 50~55". Look around BestBuy and it can be had for $1200. (not listen on their website anymore and can be found in some stores)

Great reccomendation about the SXRD RPTV from Sony it is Liquid Crystal on Silicone (LiCOS), not LCD. The 50" A2020 model is on sale at the Brick for $1100 - this model is 1080P, you won't find a better TV for less money, an equivlent flat panel 1080P will run you $2K for the lesser brands and more for the name brands . No moving parts on this one like the DLP (i.e. colour wheel) although there is a bulb, it won't run you $500 like mentioned earlier, more likely about $200. If you don't need to hang it on the wall this is the way to go. BTW - it isn't that deep - only 16" or so.

As you have found out, everyone reccomends the brand they have. You need to do independant research. Narrow down what you need, narrow dowan manufacturers, then make the buy.

Essentially Plasma/LCD (flat panel) can be broken down as follows:

Bright Room - LCD, otherwise Plasma. Plasmas have some issues with glare, although there are models with anti-glare screens that negate this. Plasmas have blacker blacks, whiter whites and better colour than LCD's. Burn-in is not much of an issue with Plasmas is it once was. You can use them as a computer monitor, just like an LCD. IMO, Plasma is a better way to go (but, really consider that SXRD - it is fantastic at 50% of the price and no, I dont own one).

Don't spend money on cables over $20, they are a rip-off. Anyone who tells you different is a cable salesperson.....

Couple of websites to read:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php

PM me if you like, I love talking electronics.

Here is another great place to get HDMI and optical cables really cheap.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

I just bought a Panasonic 50" plasma and I love it. I also built my own HD antenna and get free High Def channels as well. You will love watching Nascar in HD.

Do lots of reading on digitalhome and you will happy you did when your ready to purchase.

Rob C

I have a 53" Sony rear projection TV which was there top of the line about 10 years ago when I purchased it. With DirecTV the picture is amazing to this day. I don't really see that much difference in the new HD screens compared to mine especially when you're considering how much you have to spend. I have had this SONY problem free from day one and when the day does come to replace it I will be looking long and hard at another SONY before I would consider another brand. They make one hell of a TV.

All good recommendations. I built a customer HT w 100" screen & Panasonic PT-AX100U 18 months ago and it is still jaw dropping to watch!

TIP: Don't get scammed by the $$$$ cable scam. When you start talking digital signal like HDMI (prefered method of connection) there is no need to buy Monster or any other ridicoulosly priced cables. As seen on Market Place ... (fyi..I have an elecrical/electronic engineering background ). When it comes to cables High $$ does not necessarily mean high quality...

I bought amazingly high quality cables here for a fraction of the price of Monster etc...:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepar...amp;cp_id=10240

TIP: Ship via USPS (United States Postal Service) and NOT a courier as you will get burned for brokerage fees.

We are presently in the market to replace a second tv. We are close to buying a plasma Sony Bravia. We looked at the rp LCD but did not like the fact that you lose picture clarity when sitting off to the side.

We looked at the Sharp Aquios and thought that picture was outstanding. Our daughter/son inlaw bought a 42 inch Aquios and they love it. However, a friend that is in the business said he would stay away from the Sharp because the technology is "new and radical". He further explained that Sharp is using mirrors (similar to binoculars) to produce the excellent picture and said there could be problems in the future, especially if the set is jarred. He further added that Sharp is the only company going with this technology.

Another issue with the new TV's is the width. We have a fairly costly tv cabinet and will be limited to a 32 wide screen. My wife enjoys the cabinet so pitching it is out.

Thank you again folks, great input! :thumbsup_anim:

The next thing is to go and have a look at what we would like. It makes it a lot easier to make a decision with some information. But of course I could always trust the sales guy to help out, right? :whistling:

Make sure it's 1080P (1080i is Good also but lower than 1080P)no matter what TV you get, otherwise you won't be getting true high def. A lot of what you see on sale these days are not 1080P.

Some high def TV's don't look so great on regular TV only because high def show how bad regular TV resolution really is.