Trolling Reels

Mike01

So I'm looking at picking up a couple of trolling reels. I'd like to keep the total around $100 per reel.

It will mostly be used for Lakers and maybe the odd pike or muskie, no salmon.

What do you guys think about the Okuma that BPS has? I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks

Mike

Ok... you don't need a line counter... but all the reels mentioned are line counters?!

For the price, you can't beat the Diawa Sealine... I'll keep my opinions on the Okuma to myself. :stretcher:

HH

Hey HH, I forgot to mention on our ice fishing day last weekend that I spoke to the Okuma rep at the sportsman show about the problem with the reels. He said that they were aware of the problem and that it had been fixed in the newer reels. Considering the complaints that were going around he said there were very few reels were ever returned. They had given the tackle stores a shipment of newer reels and were told to just swap them for any returned units. This is what I was told and I'm just the messenger. I've yet to have any problems with mine but I certainly don't use them very much at all.

I use my Okuma convector 30s for salmon fishing with hours upon hours of use and never ever had an issue.But I did have an Okuma Convector 45d that did skip every now and then.But it was replaced without question at my local tackle store.It was replaced with a 30d.Even on my planner board rods I run Convector 20s with line counters.Maybe its just me but for level wind reels I like the Okuma brand.

Dan

I guess with the cost difference only being about $10 in most cases it makes sense to just get a line counter. what was happeing with the okuma's, do most of them have plastic gearing? I also want to make sure that the reel has instant anti-reverse.

These are VERY good reels ESPECIALLY for the price.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

I would recommend line counters. It's really nice to know how far back you really are and don't have to count the raps of line going out. I have these reels on my Dipsy Diver Rods for about 5 years now and no problems. The link of course is Cabela's but I got my here with the rods for $59.99 each at Dick's Sporting Goods. But of course that was years ago.

I also have the Daiwa Sealine® Trolling Reels before they had line counters on them. I use them on my downrigger rods. They are VERY fine reels but of course their price reflects that.

Bob

the early Okumas had the odd issues but they were quick to fix that and there service / replacement is the best, no questions asked simple exchange, ive battled a few 30 plus salmon on my 30`s and they still running good after 4 years, for the price they are a great choice.

just my penny in