He Said....She Said - Tag Team Steelheading

ccmtcanada

Netting a fish and keeping it in the water is much better than beaching it on the muddy shores of the eastern tribs milty. Even though that net isnt of the highest quality how do you know ccmt can offord a better one? Those could of ended up going to the "neighbours" for roe which is within his legal limits too, but he released them.

Not good to jump to conclusions milty.

Please leave this stuff over on the darned ff.net website.

Edited by Stealheader

Why are nets bad?

For steelheading, for one its a sporting thing,...2 for C&R its a help the fish live thing,..all nets are not created equal,..if anyone has ever been to a fishing store,..and looked at the differences in nets and intended purposes,...they would realize the Poly nets vs the rubber are for different reasons,..but I know i dont have to explain all of this...;)

Netting a fish and keeping it in the water is much better than beaching it on the muddy shores of the eastern tribs milty. Even though that net isnt of the highest quality how do you know ccmt can offord a better one? Those could of ended up going to the "neighbours" for roe which is within his legal limits too, but he released them.

Not good to jump to conclusions milty.

Please leave this stuff over on the darned ff.net website.

Who said anything about beaching....ever hear of tailing?? ...AKA sporting???..check your reading before you jump to your conclusions,..and BTW,..anyone who can afford a pin can afford a net,..assuming they need to use one,...get your facts straight first dude,..as you may just not know what your talkin about!!! IMHO

in my earlier more NAIVE days of river fishing,..I once netted a salmon i had fought for a minute or 2 before she was really ready,...in a trib ,..and she thrashed around in that cheap poly net so bad that she popped her own eye out,....that fish would have died guarenteed,...and it was the cheap net that would have caused it,....just a peronsal experience,...and one that backs up why YOU DONT SEE STEELHEADERS WITH NETS!!!! as for FF.net,..not sure what your beef is,..i know the analness that can be observed there,..but really,..its a site dedicated to preserving the fishery,.not such a bad thing!!!

Edited by Uncle Milty

Sorry Milty... but from your own post.

Ken Helping Dave beach this piggy....

That said I've never seen a picture of yours with the fish on the ground.. and that's a good thing. I see so many "purists" harp about how to treat fish.. no nets.. no this.. no that..and then they throw them on the ground to get a nice shot of their pin.. and a fish.

Now lets get back to Cliff and Blys efforts and posting... I'm almost thinking that the OFC rules need added "No Steelheading Posts". They all go to hell in a handbasket this time of year.

Edited by irishfield

Just because you fall for mass marketing does not mean we all have to. You keep using your gucci triple coated gortex net and ill use my trusty no name that has served me for years.

What kind of nets do you think they use at fish lifts, or have you ever even been to one?

DanC can link you with a new invisible trout net which im sure youll love!

That said I've never seen a picture of yours with the fish on the ground.. and that's a good thing. I see so many "purists" harp about how to treat fish.. no nets.. no this.. no that..and then they throw them on the ground to get a nice shot of their pin.. and a fish.

Now lets get back to Cliff and Blys efforts and posting... I'm almost thinking that the OFC rules need added "No Steelheading Posts". They all go to hell in a handbasket this time of year.

Beach is a figure of speech,...it even rhymes,..that fish never hit the beach it was tailed, as u can see..hook out and released,..and BTW,.i never said to beach a fish....sorry for the confusion!!! I would agree that a fish flopping around in the mud and rocks is bad bad for sure,..

Just because you fall for mass marketing does not mean we all have to. You keep using your gucci triple coated gortex net and ill use my trusty no name that has served me for years.

What kind of nets do you think they use at fish lifts, or have you ever even been to one?

dont use one,..dont need one...lol,..not afraid to get my hands wet!!!...lol!!! Nice reference on the gucci ..LOL!!! If your fishin trout like specks in a lake way up north that I know Dan C does,..then Im quite sure he would be usin the right net of he is releasng,..if not,..i dont even know what to say!!! As for the lifts,...gimme a break on how things are down here....poaching and snagging and everything goes and noone says or does crap!!!,...lets introduce Atlantics again,..that should work 100 years after they became extincint,..out water is much cleaner now!!!!... :rolleyes:

BTW,.dude,..my gear, except for pin is bottom of the line,..my rod costs $75,...I aint one of THOSE steelheaders,.so carful before you jump to conclusions and Make an ASS out of U!!!

This is tailing,..not beaching,...same pic i was reffering to,..but im sure you can see the difference!!

Ken-Dave-March-24-08.jpg

Beach is a figure of speech,...it even rhymes,..

I really hope that was just an attempt to lighten the mood. To answer the post you edited, most "steelheader" dont carry a net because of lazyness, not because it harms the fish. If they cared that much about their well being they wouldnt fish for them at all. Nets help reduce the time out of water for a fish allowing for a quicker stronger release.

dont use one,..dont need one...lol,..not afraid to get my hands wet!!!...lol!!! Nice reference on the gucci ..LOL!!! If your fishin trout like specks in a lake way up north that I know Dan C does,..then Im quite sure he would be usin the right net of he is releasng,..if not,..i dont even know what to say!!! As for the lifts,...gimme a break on how things are down here....poaching and snagging and everything goes and noone says or does crap!!!,...lets introduce Atlantics again,..that should work 100 years after they became extincint,..out water is much cleaner now!!!!... :rolleyes:

Your ignorance is clear. Its your right not to use one, but why bash people who actually use one? A stronger arguement would have been why lay the fish on the ground when its already netted when you could leave them in the water. Dont bash the net, bash its use.

I really have nothing to say for your lifts comments as its clear youve never been to one or even know what a fish lift is. What does snagging or atlantics have to do with anything? So much for helping the resource, seems more like you were here just to vent.

BTW please stop editing your posts, I can't keep up.

Edited by Stealheader

I really hope that was just an attempt to lighten the mood. To answer the post you edited, most "steelheader" dont carry a net because of lazyness, not because it harms the fish. If they cared that much about their well being they wouldnt fish for them at all. Nets help reduce the time out of water for a fish allowing for a quicker stronger release.

Your ignorance is clear. Its your right not to use one, but why bash people who actually use one? A stronger arguement would have been why lay the fish on the ground when its already netted when you could leave them in the water. Dont bash the net, bash its use.

I really have nothing to say for your lifts comments as its clear youve never been to one or even know what a fish lift is. What does snagging or atlantics have to do with anything? So much for helping the resource, seems more like you were here just to vent.

BTW please stop editing your posts, I can't keep up.

dude talk about ignoramace...steelheaders dont carry a net due to laziness????,..thats an joke,..most steelheaders are by far the least lazy fishermen out there,....the ones you see 30' from the parking spot are the lazy ones and the ones usually with the nets,....grant it there are only a few steelheaders on this board,...I can tail a fish as easliy and fast as i can net it,..but it doesnt smash around hittin the steel rim and that cheap poly net scrappin off all its slime,...back up your claims, becasue the facts say you are wrong!!! ,..get it,...you got issues,..callin yourself 'stealheader',..ignorance in the fact that they are STEELhead',..no theft involved...lol...and im not bashing the nets ,..if you feel the need to use one,..use the right right one,..whats wrong with that? As for your comments about the lift,..apparently you or anyone else can only help by attending the lifts,...give your head a shake!!!

And if the net was the way to go for the health of the chromers,..you would see every single fishing show about sheelehading using nets to land them,..in my experience watching shows in ON and BC on the rivers,...whether fly or floating,..nets are rarely used except for big fish from a boat,.....if there was one single benefit,..you can guarantee the sponsers are all over it and the hosts would be using them,...!!! catch my drift!!! but then agin maybe they are just lazy!!!

Enough said, this ones up to the mods.

In case you thought a 'bad' word,..ignoramace is one that practices ignorance,..who is one that is uninformed,..and i do beleive you brought that up yourself,..ironic that you proved it yourself!!! ;)

We should ban fishing... there, I said it! :blahblah1:

P.S. Stop yellin at the dream team, they are first class anglers! :clapping:

Who's yellin,..i was only tryin to help ,...im sure people got upset at the idea of barbless hooks at first and no live bait,...its comin ,...best get used to it!!! just one of those things that seperate the .... from the .....lol bottom line is that using net on a small creek to land a chromer is unsporting, uncessesary and the science says unhealthy.!!! done,...done and DONE!!! not one comment to rubut had any vailidity,...i thought this was a fishing site,...?? Facebook is there for the rest!!!

Hey milty ... not trying to get on your bad side but when you say using a net is unsporting , then why arent you out there fishing with a line and stick the way fishing started out , instead of your 10 foot rods and special reels ..Its not like they are out there just netting fish.. A net has been used to land fish for decades...Its like telling a golfer hes not allowed to use a driver, you can play a round of golf without it but some people would rather have it ... If you want to bash someone go on youtube and watch how people handle fish there. One guys comment on there was " oh a pike is like a catfish it can live out of water for 20 or more minutes no problem" That was posted on a video of a guy posing for pics and video for 5 minutes or more with his 30 pounder. That would be a post to get cranky about ..... not because someone used a net .. .

I enjoy reading the posts on here about everyones success net or no net.

congrats on the fish Bly .... keep the posts coming !!!!! :Gonefishing:

Edited by richyb

WTG C & C on your trip. Those are some real monsters.

As far as nets go, on most occasions I don’t use one. My rubber net is heavy and it’s another thing to carry…I’m lazy. If I’m alone and a fish takes me for a run downstream, most likely I’ll forget about the net during the chase.

Nets however are good for:

- Minimizing the length of time needed to play a fish. Whether or not it’s sporting or unsporting, it’s really up to the angler to decide. I’ve seen hundreds upon hundreds of anglers (both experienced and inexperienced) attempt to tail or beach fish only to fight them to exhaustion. Some fish just don’t quit (Skamania are prime examples) and some anglers just don’t know how to tail a fish. Lactic acid build up is one of the primary reasons why catch and release doesn’t work 100% of the time even when they swim off – It’s delayed mortality. Get them in quick and release them quick. When temps are warmer (eg post opener), it’s more of a bigger deal to land them quick before they exhaust themselves to the point of no return.

- Landing fish on shelf ice – If you’re 5’7” like I am standing over an 8’ deep pool on unstable shelf ice trying to land a fish, a net should be with you. It also makes a great rescue pole.

I personally favour the fine-meshed and rubber nets for my angling.

Congratulations Cliff on your PB...I enjoyed reading about your day...the surprise meeting up with Bly :) Bly, you are giving me confidence as I will be out there by myself in the coming months.

Thanks for sharing. But right now I feel so agitated and aaagggrrresssive... :w00t: Maybe I too need to get laid...HAHAHAHA...SORRY that was not nice...I do apologize Uncle.

I see so many "purists" harp about how to treat fish.. no nets.. no this.. no that..and then they throw them on the ground to get a nice shot of their pin.. and a fish.

Hey, I do that LOL! (but not thrown on the ground and always either on snow, rocks or in the river, never mud..)

I've been at it for quite a long time and personally have never carried a net, only a tailing glove, although there is the odd occasion when I wish I had one.

I'd personally never criticise anyone who uses a net, each to their own...

Now more importantly great post Cliff and Bly!, beauty fish! :) .

Milty makes valid points. I'm not sure why you are all slamming him.

This is a fishing forum, is it not? He has offered great advice aimed at helping to sustain our great resource. Sure, his comments were directed at a couple of popular members here with high post counts, but what does that have to do with the validity of his point? He's absolutely right! Those nets generally shouldn't be used on Steelhead. Plain and simple. Everyone knows that.

Having said that, I am more concerned about the safety of Bly and Cliff fishing by themselves under those conditions. So I can live with them using a net in that scenario.