What would you do????

bucktail

Jigger, from this board, showed me a trick he uses, and I though it was pretty cool.

He puts that stick on velcro on the bottom of his camera.......it sticks perfectly to the carpet on the bow of his boat......hit the timer.....grab the fish and presto....your in business.

I kinda stole his idea, but I put a piece of velcro on the bow of my boat, where the trolling motor is......and my camera sticks on there great. Its hard to get it off.........but its the perfect hight for a standing shot....

You still have to take the time to set up your shot before you get a fish on, but it works pretty good, and no room lost to the tripod....

Sinker

What if? Instead of using the timer, and hoping you were in position when it went off, you set your camera to 'video mode' and get a quick 30 seconds or so clip lifting the fish up, hold it for a bit, and then back int he water. And then you could probably 'capture' a frame and make a picture from that.

It's a good thought, but it doesn't work out in practice. Cameras record video at much smaller image size than they do still images, and there's not enough image detail to print (unless you like tile mosaics).

Using my own 10mp cam as an example, a normal snapshot is 3264 x 2448 pixels (dots). Decent prints up to the 16x20" range. Very nice 8x10"s.

The highest resolution video my cam handles is 640x480, which is the wallpaper on the computer you owned in 1996. It's slightly more than half the width/height of standard screen resolution today. Grainy prints at 4x6" in an emergency.

Smaller cams are more likely to shoot video at 320x240, which is more like a grainy hockey card.

If you'd like to try printing these image sizes, here are some sample files:

1) a 320x240 burro from ray3d.com

2) a 640x480 field from Jordan's farm

3) a 3264x2448 gateway from Worldisround

Plenty trial and error will help with set-ups. I fish tonnes of time alone, don't carry a tripod as it's cumbersome to move around in a canoe that I fish out of bow to stern when alone. Afterawhile though you'll know where you can place a camera without zoom and where you should be in the boat to make it all work out.

Try it without fish a few times first. If there's a flat surface in the boat that you know will provide you with a good angle for photos with catch try placing there and work with it.

As far as the big muskie goes... if you're not set-up you likely be too slow. If you know how to set-up quick as you've practiced keeping things handy then, I'd suggest removing the lure, giving the fish a little to breathe while setting the timer, then, quickly hoisting the fish for the shot. I've done this with pike a few times but, with practice and a fish that co-operates with hook removal you can usually have the fish in the boat for under 30 seconds and have everything accomplished.

To summarize, PRACTICE and work out photo scenarios ahead of time, then you'll be ready quickly and efficiently.

Luckily for me I rarely fish alone. I dunno what I would have done in that situation.. Most likely land the fish, put her in the bottom of the boat, snap a pic and let her go... Or leave her in the net and see if I could take a pic of her in the water...

She would be let go either way, no reason to keep a monster like that.. Even if it was a world record, I'd dunno if I could ever get rid of the guilt I'd feel if I killed her.

Another thought is video. In recent years I have fished Canada alone during my spring trip. In order to get some pictures of fish, I have a video camera secured to the back bench. When I hook a decent fish I will hit the record button and describe the action. The running camera makes for a quick release. With the side view finders you can tell if you are "off camera". Even if your out of view, the audio keeps the video interesting. If the weather is rough I will put the camera away while moving. I always enjoy watching the videos during the winter.

So where is everybody putting this 55 to 58in. 50 lbs. muskie while they are setting up their tripod? Just holding it with one hand in the water and getting your gear ready with the other? Putting it in the live well..not to many guys have that big of a live well. Maybe tied to the boat with a big rope, maybe? Really I,ve been there and its way to hard to take a pic by yourself, let it go and only you know.

Larry - don't you musky hunters carry nets/holding pens that are large enough to hold water buffalo?? I'm pretty certain that could contain your prized fish while you get things in order...No? Like I stated, the camera and tripod is already set and ready to go. Simple push of the button and you're done...

Good Fishing,

Justin

No net for me.... reverse gaff and boca grip. I,m not saying it can,t be done, but most times you catch the biggies is in nasty weather and usually your fishing for one fish a day, so having the camera out all day isn,t realistic(rain ,wind). Murphy's law seem to work extra when your muskie fishing :lol: