Gas Dryer Repair

John Bacon

My Whirlpool Gas dryer runs but does not heat up.

I think I may have isolated the problem. There is a part called a T-O-D Microtemp that I think is causing the problem. I hooked up a V.O.A. meter to it and the two contacts do not seem to make a complete circuit. I assume that this is come sort of fuse and that it is blown. Can anybody confirm or refute this?

Is this something that I could pick up at Home Depot or Canadian Tire; or will I need to order it from Whirlpool?

Do you know if your dryer has a "spark igniter" or Glow igniter? Does it make a ticking sound on startup? if it does you have a spark igniter. If not you have a glow igniter... My guess is you have a faulty igniter

G

Gerritt is probably on the right track. If it's not producing heat, it's not igniting. These things have double and triple cutoff devices in case of failure, so it could be a few things. It could be as simple as resetting the button on a roll out switch, if it has one. But a spark igniter or glow plug would be a good place to start. You wouldn't find parts for this at CTC John.

My Whirlpool Gas dryer runs but does not heat up.

I think I may have isolated the problem. There is a part called a T-O-D Microtemp that I think is causing the problem. I hooked up a V.O.A. meter to it and the two contacts do not seem to make a complete circuit. I assume that this is come sort of fuse and that it is blown. Can anybody confirm or refute this?

Is this something that I could pick up at Home Depot or Canadian Tire; or will I need to order it from Whirlpool?

Also John, some of the sensors and switches do not complete the circuit until heat is detected, which would explain why your metre is not reading resistance..

G

Unfortunately, I do not have a schematic.

I did consider that the MicroTemp may have to sense heat in order to close the circuit. I tested it with a hair dryer, the circuit remained open.

I will drop by an appliance repair centre and see if I can get it replaced.

Thanks for all of your replies. It is great being able to get help on virtually any topic at this site.

I think you might be right in that the fault is in the 'proving' circuit. Every coupla years, my gas furnace won't stay lit. I disconnect this little bar that sits in the flame, polish it with some fine sandpaper, and reinstall, bingo.

This sensor sends a small current when it is heated in the gas flame, and after a while, it gets tired and needs to be polished for it to work properly.

Your gas dryer might work the same way.

douG

I do not think Gas Dryers have a Thermocouple... :dunno:

G

The part Doug is talking about isn't a termocoupler, it's a flame sensor. If it detects flame it'll let the gas valve remain open so that full combustion can begin. He's right, you can clean it a few times, but after awhile it wears out and you'll have to replace it. It's a pretty generic part but you won't find it at HD or RONA, check Wolsely or Bardon supplies. I know that's how it works in a furnace, but I've never serviced a gas dryer so it might be something else. Worth trying the cheapest fix first though.

I think the thermocouple and the 'flame sensor' are the same thing. I've replaced the one on my furnace a couple of times. I think I got one at HD the last time but I'm not sure. It would have been some place like HD, or CT, or HH anyhow.